Big plant photo - help me choose the best image.

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by brianT, May 2, 2010.

1. brianT

brianT TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Below are three photos of a large type of plant. I'm trying to choose the best photo of the three that's the most pleasing. If you feel like it, please leave a note which photo you like the best. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Talajay

Talajay TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I honestly would have to say the 3rd one, because the other two draw on the flowers behind it too much. If you really want the viewer to appreciate the larger plants, the focus should be on just them. The Lighting on the third one is most interesting too. As my teacher used to say "Most pleasing to thy eye"

Compositionally wise, The second one is the best. Due to the way the large plant arcs over the other flowers. But the arching takes a lot away from the larger plants.

3. Wino

Wino TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes # 3 for me, but to be honest I don't really like any of them very much. I don't know how to explain except by saying they're all a bit "vague". one of them tell me it's a big plant.

4. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The size of the plant is best seen in 1 and 2. I like backlit plants, brings out the green so nicely, so for that reason I like 1 and 3.
    3 undoubtedly is the best of the bunch, but it shows the size of the plant least. However, it is MOSTLY the plant that is meant to be your subject, with not too many other plants showing, too.
    Is that kind of giant bud (beginning of a blossom?) part of the plant in question? I like how we get to see that in 1. Plus I like the shadow you included.
    In the end, maybe 1 is the best for showing what this plant is like (as its backlit leaves are also nicely against the darker background)?

5. digital flower

digital flower No longer a newbie, moving up!

For showing the scale of the plant I think #1 is the best.

6. eriqalan

eriqalan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They all 3 tell different stories of the plant in relationship to others (3 looks like a crop of 1)

1 gives you the best relationship (i.e. comparative Size, color) of the three

7. brianT

brianT TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for all the replies. It seems most people like #3 the most. I think it is the best among the bunch because there's less clutter in the photo and the foreground/background relationship is simpler. Also I dislike the dirt path in the other two.