black & white auto

keystervr6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
its mine...and i'm a photo noob.....educate me please

2822398541_83bd8258f5_b.jpg

I think the background is quite distracting. A shallow aperture would bring out the car more. Some of the lights reflecting on the car are a little distracting as well. I think you have the right idea, but maybe try a different location in the garage.

The trash can kinda makes it "meh" but I like it overall

B1tch1n VR6. I'm a sucker for dubbs! What are you looking to do? What are you unhappy with? This will help guide any suggestions.

B1tch1n VR6. I'm a sucker for dubbs! What are you looking to do? What are you unhappy with? This will help guide any suggestions.

thanks man...i'm looking to be able to learn more about what i should be looking for in shots like this....auto photography is what i really love, and i have only recently be shooting b&w...

i wanna be able to place my car, or whatever car in cool surrounds and take good shots, i see why people this some of the stuff can be distracting, but its a freakin parking garage :lol:

Ok I can work with that. I'm the unofficial official east side photog for my car club so I've done this much. Here is a quick list to think about.

1. tire angle is key. look at your favorite shots and take note of the angles and what is achieved by using different angles. it is best explained visually.

2. placement is not always everything. move about and don't be afraid to climb on stuff or lay on the ground. always keep in mind the relative position of your light source(s) though. this is sometimes harder to manipulate without moving the vehicle.

3. time of day. night = tripod even if you think you can use a super fast prime and hand hold, you can't. dawn = fog you never know when that stuff will creep up on a perfect shot and fuzz it all up. you can often get cool back light shots in the am however. dusk = capital great coloring, great reflections and a great backdrop.

4. stay out of the shot. your shadow ruins it and so does your reflection in the vehicle.

5. detail sells it. people rarely oooooooh and aaaaaaaah over a shot that lacks detail in either shadow or highlight. some look cool, but often they aren't as well received as a shot that falls well in the dynamic range of your sensor/film.

6. HDR (High Dynamic Range). automotive photography is one of the areas in photography where HDR is a truly useful tool and not just a toy. [don't flame this please, it has it's place and it's awesome and blah blah blah except it's becoming a crutch for creativity and skill to lean on]{you know it's true}

7. I don't know anymore, beer me again.

8. oh yeah backgrounds.
A. parking strutures are sweet, but look for one that has all the same type of light so your white balance isn't the suck. they are usually empty and free at 4am. don't be afraid to move the trash can.
B. bridges. get under em. go nuts at dusk and get as many shots and positions in before the light fades. night shots can be cool if the bridge is really well lit or if it isn't, do a long a$$ exposure. in fact do a long exposure anyway.
C. fields. harsh shadows in the middle of the day. try messing with an open field on a partially cloudy day from a long ways off and preferably up high.
D. urban. look for grafitti. lather, rinse and repeat.
E. driveways. avoid em.

9. circular polarizers. get one and have some fun. they cut the glare on windows nicely, but if the front of your lens rotates while focusing it will constantly be messing up the filter position.

10. go shoot. really, right now or soon. screw up and learn from it.

More background "advice"....(from someone who has never "shot" cars!! LOL!!! Take it with a grain--or 2, or 3 of salt!). ;O)

I think the parking garage is a great place to shoot a car...a car is smoooooth, and shiney.....with sleak lines and such...and a parking garage can give some wonderful contrasts!!! ....Like pillars.. and the gate that you captured in your shot...lots of stark, bland tones. It would be neat if you got some repetition in there...several pillars, from near to far...(and again that gate that you already have, maybe at a different angle).

Try an old cemetary in the background (and then come post over in "The Dark Side" muahahahaha!!!)!! LOL!!! Or, or, or....in front of an old, abandoned house!!! That would be cool!!!

Anyway...I think you are on the right "track"....and McQueen (any realation to "Lightening"!??? LOL!!) seems to have some good advice!!

No relation. Steve McQueen was the inspiration on that one.

Most reactions

Back