Blocking the Sun outside?

WideAperture

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good evening guys. What's some useful gear to use to block the sun when taking portraits or headshots outside?

I prefer to shoot natural light and not a strobe. What's some things a person can use without having an assistant? You know, like to block the sun from a side. Thanks!

Good evening guys. What's some useful gear to use to block the sun when taking portraits or headshots outside?

I prefer to shoot natural light and not a strobe. What's some things a person can use without having an assistant? You know, like to block the sun from a side. Thanks!

Any opaque object will cast a shadow when placed between the light source and subject. With the camera on a tripod with a remote release you should not need an assistant.

You'll want to get a scrim. You'll need to get one or two stands and sandbags to weigh the stands down as well.

Scrims aren't exactly cheap, but they aren't expensive either when compared to the cost of most camera gear. You can also get a 5 in 1 reflector disc, but in my experience they are just big enough to work but small enough to also be a little troublesome when trying to keep your subject covered, so I recommend something that's 4x4 or larger.

Why not simply move the subject into some shade?

Even outside I'm not a big fan of ambient only because of the difficulty getting light into the eyes.

As noted above shade is sometimes an option if you can get it consistent. Dappled light through the trees can both a curse and blessing depending on the DR with portraits.

If your determined you might try using two scrims, one high angled down, one low angled up (butterfly lighting). Scrims and stands can be easily fashioned from PVC with white sheets stretched over them. Just be careful if there's any wind or they'll make sails. Or use one scrim as a key, and a strobe for fill.

Most reactions

Back