Bodie Lighthouse Question

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Gordon W

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got to wonder what kind of insensitive beaurocrat would pick an ugly red plastic fence to surround a national monument like this and ruin any attempt to get a good photograph of it. I can only hope it's temporary.

Bodie Island Lighthouse3
(Photographed on Cape Hatteras, North Carolina's Outer Banks, USA.)
Minolta A2 1/320s f/5.0 at 11.6mm iso64

36658240.jpg

As an expediency, rather than go through the laborious task of removing it, which I would do if I were to sell this image, here's the same shot with the red changed to the color of the grass around it using a Hue/Saturation layer in Photoshop on a simple area selection at the bottom. Not perfect, but it...uh...got the red out. Visine anyone? ;-)

36658235.jpg

However, this is just my taste. Which do you prefer?

looks much better without the red fence, but the wooden fence is distracting as well. it doesn't seem fitting for a national landmark to be bound by a "farm" type fence.

better without the red fence

The red plastic fence is temporary, when work is being done. You cannot always plan to miss renovation work. You have to work at composing your shots to avoid the renovation or have it add value. That is easier said that done.

Jeff Canes said:
The red plastic fence is temporary, when work is being done. You cannot always plan to miss renovation work. You have to work at composing your shots to avoid the renovation or have it add value. That is easier said that done.

Thanks for the info, Jeff. I'm glad that fence is temporary. Hopefully they are repairing the structure so the general public can go into it again.

I did manage to shoot the lighthouse from some vantage points and angles that kept the fence out of view or at least minimized it, but it certainly limited one's options.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back