Book pricing - help needed!

Renair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.renebruunphotographer.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, an International Book company are interested in me shooting about 50-60 images for a travel guide of Dublin, they asked my prices. I told them normally for shots published in the paper I get €75.00 approx, which is accurate, but I never gave a set price for them, any idea's what to charge?? Dont want to over charge and lose such an opportunity.....

At €75 a pop, 50 images would get be €3750!!! Plus some copies of the guide book. It would be a nice way to celebrate my upcoming 35th birthday if I get this!!!!!

3750 euro is probably pushing it, I know you said intl. book company, but think about where you see these guides generally. Either they're free w/ advertising in them at hotels, airports etc., or a few dollars at a book store. Maybe consider a billable hourly rate instead? That's how something like this is often worked out when the images don't already exist.

But at the end of the day, charge what you think you're worth.

Thanks Reg, I did mention to them I never did a book before, so if they tell me the going rather, I would be happy to look at it. Usually for the price I charge, I give over full copyright of the image, so I think €75.00 is not much in my books, but I will wait for a response and see.....

oh nononono, I'm not saying that 75 euro per image is too much. But I am saying that 3,750 euro for the whole thing might be, depending on how widely they're planning on circulating the book and what they have in mind for cost recovery (planned sale price, or amount of advertising in it).

Maybe ask what their budget is then tell them they can't afford you. That's hard because normally you charge for licensing photo rights on images depending how it's used and how many copies they're selling. If they do a 2nd run, they pay again.

There's no prices on their site from the quick look I just had, but think of it this way. They sell a copy of their book for $5 USD. The do a print run of 250,000 copies. If they sell all of those, they're making a gross of 1,250,000. You're getting about $6000 (a rough conversion? Euros are about 2x's the dollar right now?) of that. Depending on their cost, they may make $700,000+/- (just making a number up) if all the books sell. That leaves you with pocket change.

There's several sites and programs you can purchase to give you an idea of licensing based on volume. I think your biggest concerns are what is the company's budget and how big a run are they doing?

Ok, got another mail, looks like they are fairly keen to use me and I will get approx €4,000 for the deal plus a box of books!!!! Still wont get over excited till its all signed and sealed!

Ok, got another mail, looks like they are fairly keen to use me and I will get approx €4,000 for the deal plus a box of books!!!! Still wont get over excited till its all signed and sealed!

Make sure no matter what you get paid that the licensing terms are clear. If they want full copyrights with the ability to print as many runs as they want and you can't use the photos ever again, then you're probably going to feel like you're being screwed. Finding a lawyer to look over the contract if it's a complicated one may be another option. I'm sure you could find one to do that service for fairly cheap and make them pay for it to boot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back