borders?

brighteyesphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brighteyesphotos.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I see many pictures on here with borders. How are you creating these?

Also, how do you create your own watermark?

I know some of my work is not the best but I'd like to mark it somehow. And I know I am in sore need of PS help. It's on my list of classes to take in the near future so hopefully I can quit bugging you guys for help.

Borders are simple.
I'll give you the steps for this picture.
bensmfra20060325mbandbeda4.jpg

Duplicate background layer.
Make copied layer active
Layer>style> stroke - (click checkmark and highlight line to see options) then pick size, change color by clicking on color box. This adds the border immediately around picture.
Layer>style>drop shadow - (click checkmark and highlight line to see options) pick sizes and other options. this creates the shadow
Make background active
Image>canvas size - add dimensions for new canvas and choose color for background
Click text - add signature (or use a special brush if you have made one)

Every border is a variation on the above.

other borders can be added with the rectangle marquee tool. by using a fixed size, say 20px shy of the height and width, a 10 px border, then center it and you can use the Select > Modify > smooth to add rounded edges to the border and then invert selection (Ctrl + shift + I) and fill the selected area.

And I know I am in sore need of PS help. It's on my list of classes to take in the near future so hopefully I can quit bugging you guys for help.
A little off topic here.
One major thing about getting to know photoshop is not to approach it as if it's something like rocket science that requires formal schooling.

Photoshop classes pretty much teach you things that you can learn on your own in less time and for lower cost.
A subscription to Lynda.com could train you much better than taking classes at a school somewhere.
Most traditional schools don't really give you very much.
Training aids like tutorial DVD's, subscriptions, technical conferences, these are gonna be your best bet if you insist on going to school.
When you learn it through these means you usually get instructed by real photoshop artists, instead of a normal instructor that teaches out of a book or according to a pre-set list of lessons.
You can buy the books they give you in school. Like classroom in a book.
Alot of schools us that one, but you can buy it anywhere and do it yourself.

The biggest thing though is not to be intimidated by pro-apps like photoshop.
They really are NOT as hard as people make them out to be.

I learned all the pro-apps I use by buying books at amazon like Photoshop Wow Book, doing tutorials from the web, and general trial and error.
I also have a couple training DVD's, and used to be subscribed at Lynda.com.
The biggest thing was that I didn't go into it with any doubts about my own competence to learn it on my own.
It's not something that requires schooling at all.

I see people doing this all the time. Being intimidated by a computer in whatever capacity, and naturally it affects your ability to learn.
Photoshops tools are named after traditional photography concepts, so if you're familiar with photography terminology and concepts, you won't have a problem learning Photoshop.
Don't be afraid, and if you get confused don't freak out or tell yourself that it's too difficult.
Just start with tutorials on navigating the interface, selecting and using tools, setting options and using layers.
I can promise you that if you do end up going to school to learn it, once you know how to use it you'll realize that everything I'm saying right now is true.
When you approach it like that you build it up to be something that it really isn't.

Hi, i use a very easy method, or rather its easy for me.
For the boarder, i Ctrl + A to select all, then go Edit - Stroke, in there you will be able to select a boarder colour, and its thickness. Just experiment see what fits.

As for my watermark, i open a new blank canvas, make the size about W600xH100 or something, and put my watermark on there and same as a jpeg.

When i come to edit the photos i want, open your watermark file first. Ctrl A to select all and copy that.

Then opening you photos, add you boarder as above, then Ctrl V to past your watermark, and move to where ever you want it, then save as jpeg.

Might sound longwinded, but its how i do mine.

Most reactions

Back