Bowen Bridge - experimenting with IR and HDR

julius

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey I'd love to hear anyone's comments or critique on these shots.

1. Very mild two shot HDR

bowenbridgehdrframevs4.jpg

2. IR (My favourite)

bowenbridgeirframemw2.jpg

3. This one is kind of ridiculous. 4 shot HDR combined with some IR.

bowenbridgehdr2framesp1.jpg

Thanks for having a look

hey those are interesting, especially the last one.
It has uneven coloring, but still kinda looks neat.
Like the surface texture of the water in the first one alot.

~John

I love the third one. Its a great use of HDR! The second one dosent pop at me but the first one is also good. Great contrast and color

The first two work quite nicely, the subtle HDR in the first doesn't jump out at you. It seems more like just a fabulously exposed image, good composition as well.

The second one looks more like a black and white photo that used a red filter. As far as IR goes, I don't see the tell tale white vegetation or black skies. However, I think it's still a very successful image.

The third, i feel wasn't so successful. The bridge looks great, no problems there, and HDR can produce some amazing effects, but combining the color on the (virtually) B&W IR just looks like selective coloring to me, an effect which I am not a big fan of.

Very nice series!

What you did in the first one was a merge, not HDR. HDR requires 3 or more exposures.

The last one is ok, it's got a glow-in-the-dark look, but the color is nice.

What you did in the first one was a merge, not HDR. HDR requires 3 or more exposures.

Why would you need at least 3 pictures to make it HDR? If 2 are enough to record all the tones in the scene (without burning highlights or blocking shadows) you surely have a higher dynamic range than you could get with one picture. Or am I missing the point of HDR?:scratch:

Anyway, I think the first picture works very well bacause it does NOT have this obvious HDR look and the composition is great. A more dramatic sky would make it even better.

yea you dont need 3 exposures to make it a HDRI..... 3 is the recomended amount from adobe..... but if you can get all range you need from 2 exposures then thats fine.

I like the first two, as im a fan of subtle HDR rather than OTT HDR and these work well. The last is fun to experiment, so well done for that....:thumbup:

The last one is fantastic. Well done with HDR

Most reactions

New Topics

Back