Brand new camera, when I shake it - it sounds like loose plastic piece inside

Treymac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joejohnsonphotography.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. My brand new XTi came in the mail today. I was really excited to try it out, until I opened it and found it out it makes a sound like there is a broken piece of plastic inside of it. :(

This isn't normal is it? Should I return it?

Did you try using it? I have on too but mine does not make any noise. How did the box look that it came in?

If you can return it, then return it. No sense in taking any chances.

Hey ... just don't shake it ... okay joking ... before I ship it back I'd take it to an authorized Canon repair shop so they can have a look-see ... maybe something simple ...

Gary

Hey. The box was in perfect shape, and everything looks like its in good condition. I'm going to take some shots tonight and tomorrow and see what happens. I've decided to look into returning it even if it does work though, for the price I don't want to put up with anything that might be problematic. Thanks.

dont return it...my xti did the same thing brand new...i called up canon..talked to the rep..he picked one up..and it did the same thing...i used my friends xti..it does the same thing...

i forgot what the rep told me it was..but its normal..

Pop up the flash and shake it. It rattles when down on my XT, but I thought they fixed it on the XTi.

i think the rep said something about orientation sensor....it bothered me alot at first..but not so much anymore

hmm.. i never shook my camera... maybe i should try?

It could be the flash or the orientation sensor. The O.S. is a little ball or something in an enclosed part of the camera...when in landscape orientation, it's in one position and when you turn the camera to portrait orientation, it moves to a new position so that the camera knows it's been turned. It has to be free so that it cam change positions when the camera is turned. With some cameras, you can hear it banging around when you shake it.

I guess I'll probably keep it now then since it's not uncommon. Although it makes the sound even when I just rotate the camera, but the orientation sensor moving around explains that. I thought it might have been dropped or a manufacturing error. Thanks for all the replies. :wink:

Lol this is kind of like that old doctor comedy sketch thing. Where the guy says his arm hurts when he does this, and the doctor says dont do that then.

If the functions are Ok, I think it doesn't matter so much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back