Breakfast

Stillwater

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Going for a minimalist approach today, I'm not sure why I'm shooting in b/w so much, or non-humans. I need to meet some people to shoot in Denver.

Anyways, C&C please.

The shot would have been more effective without the spoon.

Well it's a photomontage, but, I want to know why you think so? Aesthetically does it distract from the subjects because it's on a different plain (and DoF)?

For reference, I was influenced to leave the spoon based on a photograph I saw recently, I can't recall the photographer, with a fork and a bowl. Anyways, I guess mine didn't work out.

Well, I'm thinking, too, that the spoon is more distracting than being helpful for your photo here, more so since it looks so dirty, and the oof part of the handle makes THAT part look smeared and dirty (to my eyes), too. Hence the distraction. Plus it's being cut off by the frame. The photo feels therefore unbalanced.

Well thank you! I have a hard time with still life, I appreciate the feedback!

You shoot in B&W, or you convert to B&W.

If you shoot in B&W. Shoot with what?

I really like the perspective and contrast but the DOF on the handle of the spoon and the way it breaks up the flow of the circles doesn't appeal.

Now, if the spoon had been horizontal in the frame, below and biased towards the the glass I think would add some nice tension.

Denver? Oklahoma?

Last edited:
Better symmetry would really,really help this shot. Make the two vessels line up at the same level in the frame OR widely differently, not just slightly askew...

I'm not not sure if I like the spoon's handle touching the right side of the frame as much as I would like it if it were contained within the frame area. I love the minimalism and starkness of the shot, but think that what would be REALLY KILLER would be to get a diffuse highlight on top of the coffee's surface in that cup...that would be great...

Failing the ability to precisely position a diffuse highlight in the coffee cup, you could go with some crema or steamed milk on top of coffee...

You shoot in B&W, or you convert to B&W.

If you shoot in B&W. Shoot with what?

I really like the perspective and contrast but the DOF on the handle of the spoon and the way it breaks up the flow of the circles doesn't appeal.

Now, if the spoon had been horizontal in the frame, below and biased towards the the glass I think would add some nice tension.

Denver? Oklahoma?

-Shot in raw, gradient conversion in 'shop.
-Denver, CO, I just moved up here in the last month or so.

Thanks for all of your advice everyone! I'll do a reshoot of this tonight or tomorrow and I'll post. I appreciate all of the feedback!

if you have an idea where to go.. im down!

nice composition. i like the contrast between the simple minimalistic cup of coffee, and the much more detailed cup'o'somin.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back