Bresson's masterful use of bokeh.

Looks pretty marginal to me...

Why on earth would you upload a photo with an obviously active copyright to wikimedia?

Cartier-Bresson has a wonderful body of work and I enjoy his photography. But how is that example a "masterful use of bokeh"?

That is how it strikes me. How would you describe it?

no.

Now, what are your opinions of Bresson's photo?

it's not good.

I'm not even sure what those spots are. It could be something he added in post.

it's mirror. wall is a moasic of mirrored tiles.

Why do you think it is not good. Try this version.

HenriCartier-BressonPalaceShahofIran_zpsfdf4e443.jpg Photo by shiroplum1 | Photobucket

Hey, I just saw your egg shot and blah food. Your a pretty tough critic of the old master for a guy like you.

what's so great about the shot?

the crooked horizon? the poor composition? the distracting background? the blown out chandelier? the blown out black-blob of a curtain? the distracting bright triangle from the area beyond the curtain? the poor use of bokeh to make it hard to tell the wall is a mosaic of mirrors? the pushed-too-far contrast to remove any details?

is that what make that shot so masterful?

this is what that room probably looks like (another iranian palace): http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RQkg1dAsg8c/ULj5Oe6cJKI/AAAAAAAAAaY/Tb2TDQBRV4E/s1600/mirror+hall.jpg

it's clear to see how poorly Cartier Bresson was able to capture and translate the majesty of that room; instead we focus in on an ugly statue without any detail or intersting lost in a sea of other gray/white blobs.

Last edited:

Hey, I just saw your egg shot and blah food. Your a pretty tough critic of the old master for a guy like you.

what's so great about the shot?

the crooked horizon? the poor composition? the distracting background? the blown out chandelier? the blown out black-blob of a curtain? the distracting bright triangle from the area beyond the curtain? the poor use of bokeh to make it hard to tell the wall is a mosaic of mirrors? the pushed-too-far contrast to remove any details?

is that what make that shot so masterful?

Well you have to understand this is a copy from an old book of a film shot. Back them lots of stuff got blown out with folm. Also the mirrors are points of light that can never be realized very well on film. I don't see much for crooked horizon.

It has dreamy quality to me that appeals to me. i love the bokeh, obviously not the same to you. But thanks for your comments.

there's no bokeh in that shot.

Okay folks... let's keep things clean, and above the belt. Any further comments such as those I have removed will earn someone a TPF Time out!

Most reactions

Back