Bricks or wood?

PlasticSpanner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cheshirecatcarclub.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In the UK the majority of buildings are made from bricks but we saw loads of country buildings in Norway made with wood frames & cladding.

This got me thinking about the rest of the world and where better a place to ask!

So where you live, what is the building made of?

Most of the homes here are wood. Some of the older office buildings are brick. This is pretty typical for the North East USA.

I think my entire town almost is made of wood, except for the two blocks of businesses on main street. One good fire and we're gone, I guess. (actually, a long time ago, there WAS a huge fire that wiped out most of the town...the town was 3 times the size it is now! :shock: )

Brick foundation, wooden framework and exterior with vinyl siding. Sheetrock interior and maybe a few layers of paint too.

So. Cal homes are made mostly of wood, we have a lot on tilt up buildings made of concrete. We don't really have to many brick buildings anymore, I think all of the earthquakes took care of them. My apartment is made of wood, it was built in the thirties for the McDonald Douglas workers and has a lot of character.

Traci said:
My apartment is made of wood, it was built in the thirties for the McDonald Douglas workers and has a lot of character.

Especially with all the Mickey Mouse stuff you have in it. That'd give any place lots of "character". :lmao:

In south Florida most new homes are built of concrete block. Wood is some time used on the second floors. The older homes built before to the 40’s are mostly wood with some brick.[font=&quot] [/font]

Brick here and a klinker lining, so all in all two brick walls - here's "Just Another Brick In The Wall":

JustAnotherBrickInTheWall.jpg

PlasticSpanner said:
In the UK the majority of buildings are made from bricks but we saw loads of country buildings in Norway made with wood frames & cladding.

This got me thinking about the rest of the world and where better a place to ask!

So where you live, what is the building made of?
Some of our houses used to be made of mud at one point. Not talking a thousand years ago, a couple of hundred. You can still find a few "oop north".

And down south for that matter Ferny, I have a friend that lives in a whattle and daub farmhouse. It's a little unnerving to know that your building is essentialy straw and horse cr*p. I live in a flat made from bricks though, and the house the rest of my family lives in is also bricks. I'm going to switzerland in a few weeks however and out there you see a lot of wooden buildings. Many chalets up in the mountains are entirely wood construction.

Well i live in a mud house, can get very messy at times..

QLD Australia:
Our house is Brick, the majority of houses in QLD are. However, We have what is called a "Queenslander". These are wood houses with big verandahs. There are lots of them in Ipswich (where I live) as they are heritage listed, and you can't knock them down, or move them out of ipswich...

(People were coming in and taking the Queenslanders and putting them in Brisbane and the ferals in Ipswich got scared they wouldn't have anything to set on fire anymore :) (just my version of the story) )

Most reactions

Back