Bridge

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just watched one of the most disturbing, yet enlightening doumentaries, a movie called Bridge. Deals with suicidal people jumping off the Golden Gate bridge and, for you the brave ones, has even footage of people falling from it. It is sort of interesting that I rented it and watched it less than 36 hours from actually crossing that bridge on my way back from the vacation. Kind of an eerie feeling seeing the bridge in a different light now.

I work in Structural Engineering and was amazed at the size of the GG bridge.
Apparently jumpers are in the air for 4 seconds before they hit!!

The height above the water is amazing as is the size of the overall structure.

I used to live about 5 minutes walk from the bridge (on the Presidio) and would often walk up to or across at sundown.
Truly a marvelous sight.

Apparently jumpers are in the air for 4 seconds before they hit!!

I'm sure someone clever would be able to calculate the speed they hit the water and the consequent rate of deceleration when they do. I'm guessing matters come to a fairly swift and terminal conclusion

I'm guessing matters come to a fairly swift and terminal conclusion

Most of them. There is one case of a survivor who was kept afloat by a harbor seal. Pretty amazing to hear from him how he survived the jump. Seems he changed his mind after jumping and tried to land feet first.

I live about 10 minutes away from there.
Yes, it is a magnificent bridge (yet I still have no shots of it.)

When you come up as MOTW, you know what you're going to have to do don't you? Start planning....

Oh, are you hinting something? Have you possibly done some behind-the-scenes conversing with LaFoto? (*hopes you have*) ;)

Well, that's alright, just another excuse for my mom to take me to shoot in SF! :mrgreen:
"Mom, you HAVE to take me to San Francisco for some photos."
"Why? I took you 4 months ago."
"Because I just NEED a photo of the Golden Gate Bridge."
"I'm sure you do, Emma."
"Seriously, it's for thephotoforum."
"For the what?"

Oh, are you hinting something? Have you possibly done some behind-the-scenes conversing with LaFoto? (*hopes you have*) ;)

No, I'm afraid not. Think you'll have to wait your turn like the rest of us. It looks like you may be 2 weeks before me though, some time mid 2008... :er:

I'm sure someone clever would be able to calculate the speed they hit the water and the consequent rate of deceleration when they do. I'm guessing matters come to a fairly swift and terminal conclusion

at the risk of being gruesome....some numbers...........
hit the water at just over 39m per second (4 x 9.81m per sec per sec) - or around 87.5mph

deceleration would be something like 400g assuming a speed of 40ms-1 and decelerating to 0ms-1 over a time of 0.1 sec.

it's been a while since i did physics so i may be a bit rusty!!!

I'm sure i read somewhere that hitting water at speeds above 30ms-1 is like hitting concrete.

On that cheery note, I'm off to check another thread!!!
:greenpbl:

Most reactions

Back