Browser's and colour

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I don't know if anybody else has this problem, but i've noticed a drastic difference in how certain browsers display images.

I'm running a Mac and have both Safari and Mozilla. Safari is fine and displays pictures exactly how they appeared in photoshop, but Mozilla washes out the colours and makes them much lighter. I never noticed this difference when i used a pc.

Anyone else have this problem? is there any settings that can be changed to fix this?

thanks

sorry bout this matt, color space is something which has always been a bit of a mystery to me. Where is the option in photoshop to change an image to srgb?

Copy your photo to a new document, and you'll see a color profile drop down box. (In the advanced settings) Choose sRGB. Then resize and use save for web.

cheers :thumbup:

still having a couple of problems.

I've managed to make sure the image is srgb profile

If i go to Save for Web and jpeg, this washes out the colours and lightens the midtones.

If i go to Save As, and save as jpeg, this preserves the colours and midtones, until i upload it to the web and view it in Mozilla.

I must still be doing something wrong but i dont know what

i am not sure about the procedures been used here to convert to a new colour space.

but there is a difference in assigning a new colour space, or converting to a new colour space. The latter tries to make the new (and reduced ) colour space to reproduce the colour impression of the original image. whereas the former just cuts off the extra information which used to be in the larger colour space. Then images look washed out.

I find it strange that its just the browsers that are giving you the problem. You mentioned you've never had this problem on PC... and that it works fine in Safari (which is a dedicated mac browser)... but not Mozilla which is made for PC and mac.

sRGB was originally promoted by Microsoft and is based on the expected quality of an 'average' consumer (2.2 gamma and D65 white point) PC monitor.... so im thinking maybe Apple have made Safari so it handles this color management.... but maybe Mozilla doesnt convert the sRGB properly as its a browser that spans both platforms.

Im not sure if this is relevent tho... you may just be doing it wrong :p

Most reactions

Back