Building a portfolio

Hovercraft

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I am going to apply to college or university for photography (both are excellent programs) and would like to know what types of photos would make a good portfolio? I'm interested in commercial photography primarily but am unsure what specific industry I would work in. I'm wondering what kind of things faculty would look for.

I can't say as far as subject matter, but they will be looking for technically sound photographs. They cannot be underexposed/overexposed. They cannot have terrible lighting. They have to be your best shots, period. Shots cannot just be good, that have to be great. This may sound like a lot...because obviously you are going to school to learn about photography so you shouldn't be amazing to begin with, but unfortunately thats how 'higher' education works.

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with nicfargo, the shots should be great. Go with quality over quantity. 10 fantastic images is better than 10 fantastic ones, 5 great ones and 5 good ones.

Also, I would include images that show that you understand different aspects of photography & light. Include shots to show how you control DOF...etc.

I'm interested in this as well, I'm glad this thread is up.

Would it be fair to say that you should have a variety of subject matter though as well? Like, for example, not just portraits or not just landscapes or not just macro work? Would it be better to have a variety of good images versus one type of work that is great? Let's see if I can ask this question better...would it be better to have a portfolio of ten great portraits, or a portfolio with three good landscapes, three good portraits, three good sports shots, etc.?

DOF, is that determining the focus? or distance of focus??? AHHH I need a better school.

Would it be fair to say that you should have a variety of subject matter though as well?
It would depend on what the purpose of the portfolio was. If it was for entry to photo school...I would think that a variety would be a good thing. If you are trying to get a job as a fashion photographer, a landscape shot isn't going to do much for you.

DOF, is that determining the focus? or distance of focus??? AHHH I need a better school.
DOF...Depth of Field. It's the range of distance from the camera, which will be in focus. It's primarily controlled by the aperture of the lens, the focal length of the lens. Search the forums, it's been talked about many many times before.

It would depend on what the purpose of the portfolio was. If it was for entry to photo school...I would think that a variety would be a good thing. If you are trying to get a job as a fashion photographer, a landscape shot isn't going to do much for you.

DOF...Depth of Field. It's the range of distance from the camera, which will be in focus. It's primarily controlled by the aperture of the lens, the focal length of the lens. Search the forums, it's been talked about many many times before.

Thank you..:blushing:

I have some ideas in mind for photos.. My girlfriend has some asian ball jointed dolls made out of resin that look gorgeous in photos and very lifelike.. It's unconventional and very new (most people are familiar with barbies.. maybe porcelain or vinyl but not resin). I'll have 2-4 shots of those. Another idea of mine were euro boardgames because they have vibrant colors and they can be pretty neat looking.

I need 20 photos. I've already taken an introduction course at the college I will applying to so I have 5-8 good photos already.

Most reactions

Back