Building your own backdrop out of pvc?

Perfect. Lots of info here. Thanks so much guys for all this. I will be ordering one these. Thanks again for all the help and yes the pvc would stand out like a sore eye.

What brand did you go with?

and MJS do those backdrops still need stands. Learning here thanks..?

I agree with SpeedTrap.

I bought a backdrop stand 'kit' for $100. It has two heavy duty stands, a 4 section cross bar that can be as long as 12' and it comes in a nice travel case. Not bad for $100.

The brand of my kit is DynaTran, bought from Amvona.com.

It's fairly heavy duty, but the one thing I don't like about it, is that the fitting on top of the stands, is a simple threaded stud and you use a wing nut to hold the rod in place. It' works fine but I've seen the Manfrotto kit that SpeedTrap has, and the stands use a standard light stand stud at the top. So he can easily interchange those stands with any light stand.

I also have the Manfrotto Auto-pole system that Derrel mentioned above. Now that is a nice heavy duty system. I keep that set up in my home studio because it's rather big & heavy to be taking on location.

Whats a good smooth black material that I could use for the backdrop. There is a local photography store that has the backdrop supports that I am gonna check out tomorrow. However no backdrop material. What do you recommend Mike or anyone. LOL thanks. I am now in a bind. lol

What brand did you go with?

and MJS do those backdrops still need stands. Learning here thanks..?

I bought one of the Impact ones and a Botero..... they were both 5x7' and could be leaned up against something... although, there is a stand with a clip that you can get with them too ("Impact Multiboom Light Stand/Reflector Holder" about $80). I will say however, the Botero one was very well made, seems to have a metal frame and if you get it, make sure you figure out how to fold it back up before you're actually at a shoot trying to do it. There is a little bit of a trick to it, that took me quite awhile of struggling and online searching to figure out. The impact is a bit lighter, and the frame feels like it is a sturdy plastic... much easier to fold :D.

Whats a good smooth black material that I could use for the backdrop.
Paper is a common backdrop material. It's called 'seamless' paper background and it comes on rolls...usually 5-6' wide, 9-10' wide or 12' wide. When it gets dirty or torn up, you just cut it and roll out some more.

Other common materials are muslin or canvas.

Also, keep in mind that you can photograph just about any color background to be white or black in the photo. It just depends how much light you put on it. If you put enough light on a black background, it will come out white. If you keep enough light off of the background (put a lot more onto the subject), then even a white background will show as black.

Right on Mike I learned bout lighting the background tonight while playing with my setup.

I went to the local camera shot as I said and got to Manfrotto light stands. I forget the model number now but will post when I pull them out later again. They were 60 bucks each and very very solid and wide base. I also got the manfrotto rod that telescopes out in three sections to the standard of 12 feet to support backdrops and paper rolls as you stated mike. That was 60.00 bucks. Not a bad price granted I am supporting the local ma and pops store. So I didn't mind.

Went to Jo-ann fabs today and got 109 inch wide sheet fabric. Not all cotton so it won't winkle on me as bad as 100 percent cotton for 13.99. Beats the 149.99 west something brand that is the exact same. Granted again ma and pops store but only a bit cheaper online. Going to take it to a place to put a loop flap thing over the top so I can just slide the rod through to support it.

In the end its working out great. Getting great results and soon will post photos. Thanks to all who gave me info and I recommend to anyone thinking of building a backdrop too just get light stands and rod.

Thanks again everyone. This is working great. All set to with my flashes and all.

Most reactions

Back