The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This picture was taken about 11 AM and the sun was incredibly bright on the wall behind them.

I sort of don't mind the glare because it really was just like that, almost impossible to look at.

What I'd like is a response on how the brightness hurts the impact of this casual portrait of two monks.

Thanks in advance

twomonksblp00066ry0.jpg

I don't think the blown out wall is much of a big deal. My focus is so drawn to the two monks that I really don't notice too much the wall lacks definition behind them. I actually think it kind of makes them "Pop" out at you.

Brian

I really like this shot... The only thing that bothers me is the upper left hand corner - I wish it was just a little darker; but that's nothing your mad ps skills can't handle, right?

i think "bright" does it ok but i probably positioned them in a centre of a frame.

My eye stayed with the monks, but since you mentioned the corner I can't stop staring at it. I don't think the brightness hurts the impact of the photo at all...but it is the only corner without anything "going on" in color. I don't think it would hurt to be a bit darker...I also think it could be interesting to bring out the horizontal pattern on the wall on the left (at least...I think it's a raised pattern of some sort)...just to balance the background interest a little. (yeh...yeh...I know I haven't got the lingo down...but I hope you can get some kind of helpful comment out of that :sillysmi:)

Cheers!

Thanks for your comments.

In response to the suggestions, I probably won't recrop this picture to put them more in the center for two reasons:1) cropping out that side would remove a lot of the parts of the background that does have texture and leave me with a white featureless background and 2) I will be printing this and sending the prints to Laos as gifts for the two novice monks and I don't want to crop out that little golden ornament since it is very reminiscent of their Wat.

I wouldn't PS that wall for the same reason; it wouldn't be their temple.

Thanks for your comments.

I will be printing this and sending the prints to Laos as gifts for the two novice monks and I don't want to crop out that little golden ornament since it is very reminiscent of their Wat.

I wouldn't PS that wall for the same reason; it wouldn't be their temple.

I'm sure they'll appreciate your gesture, and the beautiful photo :sillysmi:

Knowing that the building is their temple...not altering it in PS is respectful and makes perfect sense!

I'm curious if you have other photos you plan to share from this trip....

Cheers!

I'm curious if you have other photos you plan to share from this trip....

Thanks for asking.
Everything I've posted since Feb 15th has been from that trip. After culling I have about 1500 pix to sort through and work on. I am in midst of major reorg of my filing system (Lightroom, 2 500GB drives, fire resistant storage, etc.) and that takes a lot of time.

About 30 pix are already on slide.com at this url. http://lewislorton.slide.com/p/0/Pictures+of+2007+trip+to+SEA?view=large
if you are interested. I would welcome response.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back