Burrowing Owl

Plastic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took some shots of this small owl this weekend. New to photography and trying to learn how to take wildlife pics. Fully manuel, Nikon D40X, sigma 50-500. Close and sharp is not as easy as some people on here make it look, some day i'll get it. Comments welcome.

DSC_0065_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0049_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0013_edited-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Ooo, love the first one! What an icy stare. And the last one makes me giggle...looks like it's playing hide and seek or something.

Very nice job for starters! Not sure if you used auto focus or not but for me if the subject is not moving I use manual focus. Auto focus tends to try and focus on things around your subject (i.e. moving grass or objects etc).
Last thing I would say is always focus on the eyes!

Nice job and keep them coming!

ps - Where was this photo taken at?

Last edited:
It looks like plastic was focusing through a fence or caging (hence the odd striations in the out of focus areas), which makes it REALLY tricky to focus.

A tip from an old wildlife shooter... focus on the eyes. If the eyes are in focus, you can get away with a multitude of sins.

There is a lot that can be done in post to help your pictures have a bit more snap, but you have the "Do not edit" so I can't really show you what I mean.

Best wishes and keep shooting.

Thanks for the great comments. These were taken in an open field in West Texas, auto focus, RAW, monopod and some post processing with photoshop elements, which I also don't understand to well. Perhaps resizing and sharpening accounts for the " through the fence" look. It's ok to edit them, I checked that box when I joined not realy knowing what it ment but thinking that saying no was somehow the safest response.

Just a thought, to see what you think.

I did the following in Capture NX (I don't use Photoshop unless I absolutely HAVE to), spent a total of 5 minutes 22 seconds on it (simply to gauge how much work it was).

First, after converting it to a TIF so I could limit generational loss, I cropped it to a 3x4 ratio. I darkened the corner and brightened the area right behind the bird, then I painted gaussian blur on the area behind the bird to give it a nice "fast lens" kind of a feel. I then increased the contrast on the bird just a wee, and used unsharp mask on it to give it a bit of pop.

Finally, I reduced the file size to 600 and saved it back to JPEG.

It was just a "quick & dirty" job with a low rez image, with the full size image I could have been much cleaner about it.

What do you think?

owl2.jpg

Wow Sabbath, thats great. I think I should read a bit more and practice with with some software. Appreciate your input.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back