Busted lens

sfzoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I, like an idiot, dropped my rebel T2i today. Was on a tripod about 3ft up, fell square on the lens. now, it won't zoom back. :thumbdown:

Its a kit 18-55mm IS lens...its stuck at 55ish..won't budge back.

What are my options? Should I be worried about the body? how much abuse can these take?

thanks i advance

Your lens is probably shot. 18-55mm kit lenses are a dime a dozen on craigslist or ebay, or you might take this opportunity to upgrade your glass. As far as your camera goes, there's probably nothing wrong with it if it's not acting weird. Have you tried taking photos with it since?

I think it is the sign for you to upgrade the lens. :D

Any visible damage?? Its not worth repairing! Like said above. Take this as a opportunity to upgrade!

I did the same to my 50... it had a bit of warped plastic on the focus ring but it still did work fine.

If you are really cheap you may be able to fix it with some spare parts... but I would think you would probably ruin it in the process.

Check out your T2i. I believe it has an all plastic body? If so that means it won't stand up well to impacts.

Thanks for the input.

The body seems fine. I took pictures with it and it worked.

It fell onto my bedroom floor which is carpeted with that generic office carpet.

Guess i'm upgrading.

Uh-oh. No one wants for that to happen to them.
Last August, I dropped my camera from the hook inside a public bathroom door, and the floor in there was NOT carpeted, of course. Too bad, I thought, this was the end of camera and/or lens.
Long story short: body and lens survived the fall - it obviously had landed on the flash shoe, and one side of those ... oh dear, what's the English word for that then??? :scratch: ... "chamfers" (?) was severely dented. Someone pried it back to almost normal with his Swiss pocket knife for me, though, so the flash now gets back on, albeit no longer as easily as it used to. Phew!

Uh-oh. No one wants for that to happen to them.
Last August, I dropped my camera from the hook inside a public bathroom door, and the floor in there was NOT carpeted, of course. Too bad, I thought, this was the end of camera and/or lens.
Long story short: body and lens survived the fall - it obviously had landed on the flash shoe, and one side of those ... oh dear, what's the English word for that then??? :scratch: ... "chamfers" (?) was severely dented. Someone pried it back to almost normal with his Swiss pocket knife for me, though, so the flash now gets back on, albeit no longer as easily as it used to. Phew!

I think flanges is probably the term you were looking for :)

OP: No big loss if it's just the kit lens. Goes to show how poorly made they are if it didn't survive a 3ft fall onto carpet.

Upgrade, or if you can't upgrade at the moment, replace the lense. Should cost you less than $100. The body should be fine, my Rebel XT has had some serious accidents and still works just fine. Canon makes some tough stuff.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back