Buy a scanner, or use a pro lab?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by RyanLilly, Nov 14, 2007.

1. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have many old photograph that I would like to san or have scanned so I can create printed photobooks as christmas presents Like the ones here http://www.whcc.com/books.htm I only have the prints which are old and not the best quality to begin with. My question is can I get good results buying a scanner and doing it myself or should I see If a lab can scan them and give me a CD.

Can anyone recommend some scanners or offer me some advice?

2. nossie

nossie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Scanner that reads at 600dpi should do the trick. This Epson scanner is a lot like mine and it scans negatives and slides too.

3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Unless you are going to be doing some serious scanning (which costs a bit of money), I would just find a lab that has a good scanner. Submit a sample and examine the results before submitting a large job. Some labs return crap some return good results. Many also sell different "levels" of quality...

But a scanner is like buying another digital camera... it will cost. If you can live with just "ok" quality, then there are many inexpensive options. My feeling is to use lab.

4. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do you think I can get good results with a $200 scanner? I'm not sure how much I would use the scanner otherwise,
    But I guess I could justify spending more if I decide to scan the shoe boxes full of prints that My family has.

Its been years since I have used a scanner.
    Are inexpensive scanners decent quality there days or do you still need to spend quite a bit?

5. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I personally have not been totally with cheaper scanners. But that is just me... you can't quantify my requirements to yours.