Buying a DSLR for the first time.

lasershot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I was very active a couple months ago and I decided it was time to buy a DSLR. What brands does everyone recommend? I'm willing to whip out some cash for this stuff...

I would personally recommend a Canon Rebel XTi or 30D, depending on just how much you want to shoe out and how many features you need.

You are going to get a ton of different responses and differing opinions.

this is a really bad place to ask this. i would say at least once a week this question gets asked, and frankly i've stopped responding to it (except for this i guess) everyone is going to tell you to buy the camera that THEY own because most people arent goign to reccomend another company's camera... so all the canon people will say the Xti . I say go with whatever has the features you like, go to a store and look at them and hold them to see how each feels in your hand. if you like nikon, just get the d40 or d40x because its a good starter. sony- get the alpha , pentax- k10d, and if you dont want those, then just start looking at more advanced models. but like i said, its not going to be like everyone gives you a definitive answer on this. sure everyone SAYS the xti is the best camera (in their opinion) but i didnt want that one because i didnt like how light it felt. to ME, the sony alpha felt like it was better put together and had some girth to it. i also liked sony's hand grip most out of the few cameras i looked at, so that was MY reason for getting it, but in my opinion, you need to find your own reason for buying the camera, not everyone elses...

I suggest you research digital photography if you haven't already, rank what features you would need in order of importance, shortlist the bodies in your budget. Then, refine your shortlist, keeping the bodies that have most of the important features, and the last one or two remaining should suit you fine. But you should then compare them head to head the one that scores higher in your books is for you. If you've got lenses from a 35mm system then I would probably stick with the same brand, unless its a Canon FD mount, then you're free to choose any brand of camera that suits you.

Canon 20D's are the best :mrgreen:

What system would you seem happiest with?
Canon-tons of lens and accesory support, constant new technology
Nikon-tons of lens support (minus D40 & D40x) basically matches canon in every way except no full frame offered yet
Pentax- can use any lens made by pentax in the last 40 years (with adapters), the older the lenses, the less features, such as autofocus, great features other brands are just now trying(K10D is a GREAT camera)
Sony- array of "cheap" minolta lenses and feature filled camera bodies
Olympus-small support but slowly growing, a lot of features to make point and shooters feel at home
Fujifilm- an overpriced version of Nikon cameras, I forgot why but there IS a reason to buy them
and I can't think right now so I'm sure I missed a huge company.

The Fujifilm cameras are basically Nikon cameras but Fujifilm make the sensor which have a higher dynamic range I believe. I never even considered Fujifilm as a serious choice when I bought my SLR.

i am a nikon person, and would suggest the d80, or if thats too much the d70 or 50.

Starting off I'd suggest getting a d40, d40x if you're looking for something smaller but with many of the same features as a bigger dSLR.

Personally I have the d70, so I'd suggest anything Nikon has to offer, a d40 or a d80. Or if you want to go digging around you can find a d50 or d70 quite easily.

My suggestion is to go to a great camera store, privately owned, and see if they'll let you test out a few cameras just around the store. I know here in newfoundland there's photo-tec and they let me try out a few lenses before i settled on my 70-200mm and gave me a great price on it. :)

Yup...you HAVE to go to the store and actually touch these things. Put them in your hands, touch them, feel them...

I was thinking going the Sony Alpha route and then when I got to the store and actually started playing with the things.....I ended up with the D80. Just overall it felt better, and just playing with the menus, etc.. It was easy to then make a decision.

But it's different for everyone, and really, they are all excellent cameras. Whatever you pick for whatever reason, It will suit you well.

Shorty6049 is dead on...this is a poor place to ask. Everyone will give you their respective brand to try out. I suggest you go to a local shop and try out all of the camera bodies you are interested in. That was the deciding factor for me and probably a lot of other users. Its not a good camera if it doesn't feel good in your hands. Remember, YOU will be the one using it. How does the menus layout, are they easy to navigate, button locations, etc. are all things to consider. Ease of use is paramount in this respect since as you advance you will need to change focal points, aperature, ISO practically on the fly without having to scoll through endless munues to do so.
All the top brands are practically the same as far as technology is concerned. All about the same megapixels, basic features, lens line-up etc. You have to decide which feature you rely on most. Each brand will have strengths and shortcomings. This is where your research will have to guide you. Do you want a beginner consumer brand model D40, d40X, Rebel Xti, etc or a pro-sumer model D200, D80, 5D, 30D. Budget will become an issue as you want more features, higher image quality, etc. Decide on what your needs are and go from there. What are you planning to shoot? Wildlife, weddings, sports? All things to consider as this will come into play as you set your priorities, future lens purchases, etc.
A lot to digest, but your research and time spent now will pay off in the end. Just take your time and make the purchase that you are happy with.

Most reactions

Back