Buying a New Lens for a Wedding

Universal Polymath

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so I have a wedding coming up in June, and have decided to buy some new glass. Of course, I'm going to need something fast.

Would something like this do the trick?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005LEN4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

That's the 50mm f/1.8. Should I be looking at the f/1.4, instead? There's quite a price difference between the two, so I'm not sure if I should continue saving for the 1.4, or if the 1.8 would get the job done on its own.

Basically, what I'm asking is this: When I'm walking around the reception hall and I have that f/1.8 lens on my camera, am I really going to miss that extra stop? And I've never used an f/1.4 lens, anyhow. Isn't that on the verge of being too shallow, when taking pictures of people that like to have their whole face in focus?

It's my first wedding, and I don't want to take any chances. But I also don't want to spend a couple of hundred dollars more on a lens than I need to.

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
There is no correct answer here. Yes, the extra stop might be helpful...and yes, in some situations, F1.4 might give you too wide of a DOF.

One thing to think about is that most lenses are at their best, a stop or two from wide open. So F2.8 might be better on the 1.4 than the F1.8.

Of course, the lenses are probably not equal to begin with. The more expensive one probably has better IQ across the board...but maybe not.

I know that in the Canon line up...there is a big difference between the build quality of the 50mm F1.8 ($80) and the 50mm F1.4 ($400). So if this is a professional tool...it would make sense to get a good quality product that will last.

Also, the autofocus might be different. The Canon 1.4 focuses faster (and some say more accurately) than the F1.8.

If you plan on being a wedding photographer and making money doing this...then I would probably recommend the more expensive one. It's not really that expensive in the long run or even compared to the typical professional wedding lenses.

The cheaper lens might be perfectly capable for what you need, so if the budget is tight, the it might be the better choice for you at this time.

The cheaper lens might be perfectly capable for what you need, so if the budget is tight, the it might be the better choice for you at this time.

I agree here, Personally I think the 50 is a money saving way to get into a faster lens. If this is the reason you are going for a 50 then go for the 1.8 if you really like the 50mm focal-length then get the 1.4. If I had a choice as far as a fixed focal-length for digital I might cinsider the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12119-USA/Canon_2507A002_Wide_Angle_EF_35mm.html 35mm 2.0 please correct me if it does not work on digital I am not a Canon person. If you have cash to spare it might be more appropriate to go for a short fast zoom http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/486708-USA/Canon_1910B002_EF_16_35mm_f_2_8L_II.html again not sure what is appropriate not being a Canon person.

Jip... I think Universal is a Nikon guy. Mike is the Canon guy.

lol i hope you didnt spend 200 bucks on that lens!

i really hope the people have another photographer because it doesnt seem like you know what your doing, no offense but id feel bad if i didnt give over the top pictures for a once in a life time event. good luck

Hey, no offense taken, Den. But I feel confident that I don't not know what I'm doing. I'm no expert on lenses, but that shouldn't suggest that I am incapable of taking a 'decent' picture, either. The thing is - I'm normally doing senior portraits, engagement shoots, stuff like that. For those, I'm in a studio setting with strobes and the whole bit, which means having a particularly fast lens isn't a priority. While doing a wedding is new territory for me, I'll admit, ya gotta start somewhere, right? And, understanding the importance of the event to everyone involved, I will not go into this thing unprepared. Which is why I'm here asking questions and learning what I need to learn.

I'm not trying to come across as being cocky. Just confident, which I think is a fine thing to be (better to be confident than totally timid and unsure of yourself). But nope, these people will not have another photographer there, and they will not NEED another photographer there. I'll make sure of it.

And don't worry, everybody else! I totally would not spend two hundred bucks on that lens - Already noticed the price on B&H. And I've just ordered one from there, too.

Thanks a bunch for the input!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back