Buying a second speedlight

Primoz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello!

I am thinking about adding a second speedlight to my camera bag, because I'd like to start working with two lights and most of all: I am irritated that my SB600 doesn't support high speed sync, so I'm stuck with 1/200s when everytime I'm shooting flash.

I am looking to save some money so I'm looking for a used sb900. Do you think I should necesarilly go for an sb910? I heard sb900 has some heating issues, but I am not really a fashion-model shooter, who bursts 3 flashes/second...
I watched a video on youtube where the problem is demonstrated and it doesn't look like a big deal to me. What are your expiriences?

I kind of said to myself I would like to stick with the original Nikon equipment but anyway: Do you have any exceptionally good expiriences with other flash brands such as Metz?

Thanks for your help!

I'm no "fashon photographer" but think just WHAT you may need a fast recycle time for in the futurs

Some I did this weekend with my son, Nikon and Canon, no thank you, Metz for me.

IMG_7691.jpg

IMG_7654a.jpg

Img_75642.jpg

Img_7549.jpg

Dscf2067.jpg

Dscf2066.jpg

I LOVE my Metz flashes. I have an AF50 and an AF58-2. I honestly prefer them to everything Nikon other than the SB910. I cannot recommend them highly enough. The AF58 works as a commander, and the 50 is a full TTL capable slave, so you can get your full on CLS AWL system on. They're also somewhat future proof because you can update their firmware via USB, so if/when Nikon or Canon change things up, they're good to go.

In Auto-FP sync mode (1/200 + shutter speeds), a Nikon flash unit fires several times during a single exposure. The 2 shutter curtains form a moving slit such that the shutter is never completely open when making the exposure. The faster the shutter speed, the narrower the slit, and the more times the speedlight has to fire during the exposure.

To fire several times during a short exposure, the speedlight cannot fire at full power for each of the multiple flashes needed. It takes 2 seconds or more to recharge the main flash capacitor in a speedlight after a full power flash.
Consequently, in Auto-FP sync mode, the flash unit is forced to use way less than full power for each of the multiple flashes, because the multiple flashes only have 1 full charge of the main flash capacitor available to use for a single FP-sync mode flash exposure.
The faster the shutter speed used. the less power each of the multiple FP-sync flashes can use.

Have you used the flash in FP mode? Works pretty good for me with the SB600. KmH is dead on noting the strength with will greatly reduced, but dependign on your needs it likely will still suffice.

I don't know about anyone else but I was able to get high speed sync to work with my d90 and sb600. However, it may be difficult to do it. I was trying to do the same with my friend's d90 and sb600 but couldn't remember what settings I changed to do so, but it is totally possible.

Oh, damn. You're right... This can totally be done =O Oh well... I guess one never stops learning new things about his equipment. I thought this wasn't possible with the sb600.
Thanks a lot!

Learn something new everyday :)

FWIW: get the SB-910, you won't be sorry. For one thing, the 910 can be a "master" to the 600. The "overheating issue" was one that meant that the 900's would shut down upon overheating, but the 910's just recycle slower instead of shutting down. Shouldn't be an issue with most photographers.

I found one "open box" which meant that it was unused, but saved me some dough.

Designer said:
FWIW: get the SB-910, you won't be sorry. For one thing, the 910 can be a "master" to the 600. The "overheating issue" was one that meant that the 900's would shut down upon overheating, but the 910's just recycle slower instead of shutting down. Shouldn't be an issue with most photographers.

I found one "open box" which meant that it was unused, but saved me some dough.

A lot of flashes can be masters. You only really need the 910 if you need the power and 200mm

Most reactions

New Topics

Back