Buying Digital Rebel XT in USA ....

max

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everybody.
Brand new one in this forum. I write from Italy and take the occasion to ask if someone could give some information about buying the Canon Digital Rebel XT (EOS 350D in Europe) in the US.
I have a friend working next to Charlestone (South Carolina) and about to come back to Italy for a couple of weeks; it is my intention to ask him to take back with him the beatiful Digital Rebel XT.
I have a few questions, hoping to have chosen the correct session of the forum to post:

- can you tell me which is the best price for the Digital Rebel XT and where to buy on-line in US?
- is it true that US has different taxes from state-to-state? meaning that if I buy on line the camera in New Jersey (i.e. www.bhphotovideo.com ), then I'll have to pay taxes as the camera enters the South Carolina? Do you Know how much is it for the taxes on electronic items as the camera enters South Carolina?

Thanks in advance for any possible help. :hail:

An italian "ciao"!
Max

Hello Max
It has been my experience that B & H Photovideo offer the best online prices.

On the subject of taxes; to my knowledge there is no sales tax in the U.S. when buying online. I know they were talking about changing this but I don't think it is not until 2007. I did buy from them and I live in Ireland. There was no sales tax. I did pay tax but that's another story. Even if you did pay a sales tax it would vary little between states and you would only pay one state tax, most likely New York.

You can order directly from them but of course you will pay for postage, which can be quite expensive. You may also be caught for VAT when your purchase goes through Italian customs. That is if Italy has the same routine as Ireland. I know you weren't asking this information but I thought I'd let you know. If you do have a friend "smuggle" it in for you, make sure he/she gets rid of all wrappings and make it look as though they owned it and were using it.

Regards,

Diarmuid

Diarmuid said:
Hello Max
It has been my experience that B & H Photovideo offer the best online prices.

On the subject of taxes; to my knowledge there is no sales tax in the U.S. when buying online. I know they were talking about changing this but I don't think it is not until 2007. I did buy from them and I live in Ireland. There was no sales tax. I did pay tax but that's another story. Even if you did pay a sales tax it would vary little between states and you would only pay one state tax, most likely New York.

You can order directly from them but of course you will pay for postage, which can be quite expensive. You may also be caught for VAT when your purchase goes through Italian customs. That is if Italy has the same routine as Ireland. I know you weren't asking this information but I thought I'd let you know. If you do have a friend "smuggle" it in for you, make sure he/she gets rid of all wrappings and make it look as though they owned it and were using it.

Regards,

Diarmuid

Thanks a lot for your information Diarmuid.
So ... there are no sales taxes in US between different states ... well that's better.
I was not so sure about that because in BHPhotoVideo.com (NY) you can read a few lines dealing with taxes; here the text:

"Your total charges will include the item(s) you specify plus shipping. If the order is shipped within New York State, the law requires that local sales tax be added to the order total including the amount of the shipping charge. If you have resale or tax exempt status, please make your order by Phone, Fax or E-Mail, since we do not have this option available on our web site as of this time.
We do not collect tax for orders shipped out of New York State."

This let me think that if you have local taxes within NY State and they do not collect any tax for items shipped out of their state, there might be the possibility to have taxes once the item got to the destination in a different state (i.e. South Carolina in my case).

I knew about problems on VAT and duties on the way back to my country; my friend will throw away all wrappings and boxes. Thanks for the advice anyway.

I found this on-line shop that sells Canon Digital Rebel XT at 679$ (black body) and 600$ with silver body:
http://www.expresscameras.com

That's the best price I found, but are they reliable? I know that B&H is the best and more trustable one, but they sell Canon's body at 899$: a substantial difference I would say?
Any suggestion?

Thanks!
Max

Hi max,

I haven't bought anything from express, so can't comment.
I would however buy only from B&H, Adorama or Ritz Camera.

Cheers! :)
danalec99

danalec99 said:
Hi max,
I would however buy only from B&H, Adorama or Ritz Camera.

Cheers! :)
danalec99

Thanks Danalec, that's an information I really did want!
I just know B&H; I'm going and have a look to Adorama and Ritz Camera.

Thanks again for your comment.;)
Cheers,
Max

max said:
Thanks for your contribute Danalec.
Do you know anything about this shop? http://www.expresscameras.com
Digital Rebel XT at 679$ ... not bad Iwould say.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Max

DO NOT TOUCH EXPRESS CAMERAS!!

Check here,
here, and here

I've used B&H and would receommend them everytime. Prices and service both very good. Heard good stuff about Adorama but never used them

But whatever you do...do not use Express Camersas!!

all those places like express are a scam. I tried to order a digi reb awhile ago for like 400 adn they make you buy insurance lenses cards and a bunch of other stuff and if you dont they will cancel the order.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back