Buying from craigslist, what should I look for?

dylj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I just recently got interested in photography, and am purchasing a DSLR! Due to budget concerns I decided to get a used camera from craigslist. I have set up a meeting with the person selling the camera so that I can inspect the equipment, but I don't know what I should look out for!

The camera is a Canon Rebel XTi, and the EF-S 18-55mm lens is included. The listing says the charger, battery, some memory cards, a UV lens protector are included. The picture has the strap on the camera, so I'm assuming that's included too.

Other than that, I don't know what to look for ... cosmetic defects, sure. Are there any inconspicuous signs of damage or wear that I should know about?

Thanks a lot!

One thing to make sure of when using craigslist is to get a phone number preferably a land-line to contact the person so you have a lesser chance of being scammed. Also ask if the original receipt is available. Ask why they are selling it and be wary if the price is really, really low. In genereal, i have found dslr's have a good resale value. That said be careful of overpaying, I have seen a few XTI's in my local craigslist for just 10 or 15% cheaper than a brandnew one, which is not a smart buy in my eyes.

If you can pick it up yourself and test in there to make sure it works. Take some pictures and ask for a brief overview of all the functions.

I have set up a meeting with the person selling the camera so that I can inspect the equipment...

this is exactly why i love Craig's List and HATE E-Bay.
i've bought AND sold a TON of stuff through Craig's List.
Craig's List puts you in contact with LOCAL people that you meet personally.
it's a lot more comforting to buy something from someone you meet in person.

that being said, look for the obvious.. dent's, scratches, etc.
use the thing before they leave.
i'd say taking pictures and then looking at them would be the best way to tell if it's working right.

try to meet the seller at their house. then you know where they live and IF they sell you something that's broken, you can come back and burn their house down. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back