Buying my first real camera

$1750 for a body and a kit zoom 18-55mm??? Seems VERY expensive to me....you could buy a Nikon D5400 and an 18-55 and a 70-300 VR for less money, and get a top-quality flash for roughly the same price as just the Fuji and the kit zoom.

I would spend MORE money on the lenses and go with a low-priced by newish NIKON camera body...like a D3400 or D5400, something in the low-price body range, buit with the good SONY-made sensor; Canon has substandard sensors compared to what SOny is selling to Nikon. Spend the money of LENSES!!!! Get the 50/1.8 G and the 85/1.8 G series lenses and you will, have two solid,solid lifetime grade prime lenses.

Thank you for the reply, the Fujifilm 18-55 is a high Quality lens but als you set its ver expensive, I think I will go for a Nikon d7100, d5500-5600 or d7200

So it has been almost a month since I posted this thread on the forum. Since then I have watched tons of videos and read a lot of other forum posts.

I made a list of thinks I (think) I need/want in a camera:

1. Portability, the best camera is the one you have with you. I believe that having a portable camera is one of the nicest thinks when going on city trips, hikes, snowboarding etc.
2. Ruggedness, when walking in the mountains, climbing, setting down a camera on a rock or fallen tree, snowboarding and exploring the rainy Netherlands and Scandinavia ruggedness could ensure a longer lifespan.
3. Decent video, I am not planning on doing real movie productions but having the option of shooting some descent looking video can come in handy sometimes.
4. Good lens selection, a relatively cheap, large and good (secondhand) lens selection could help keep down the cost in the long run. Although this is one of the not so important points.
5. Image stabilization, I "suffer" from pretty shaky hand and image stabilization in body or lens or both would ensure better images and video.
6. Budget, body and one lens for a max of €1500,-

So if I hold my list next to existing cameras I end up with:
1. Panasonic gx8 + 12-60mm €1068
2.Olympus om-d em-1 + 12-40mm Pro €1200
3. Fujifilm x-t1 + 18-55mm €1200
4. Olympus om-d em-5 m2 12-50 ez €1000 or 12-40 Pro €1500
5. Panasonic g85/g80 + 12-60mm €899

I hope you have all you need to help me with this (for me) though choice.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back