Buying second fuji body.. but which one?

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, looking for some advice. Admittedly I'm typing this out as much to help me sort my thoughts out as I am to ask for opinions, but here goes nothing:

Currently I own a Fuji X-T3 (and 10-24, 35 f/2, and 55-200). I'm looking to add a second body to the collection both as a backup, and a camera to keep free while my X-T3 is on the tripod waiting for the peak light.

Key points:

Budget: Up to $1500, but I might like to use some of that to get more glass as well.

Use: Backup to the X-T3, but also used as a secondary camera for handheld stuff. Also want to get into a bit more urban/street photography, so maybe something that works for that as well.

Other thoughts: Kind of thinking I might want this to be a lighter/smaller/simpler camera. Something to push me creatively in a more casual manner than I approach the X-T3 with. I also wouldn't mind having it be cheaper/older so that it can be my beater camera for tossing around or stuffing in the center console of my car to always have on hand. Weather sealing would probably be good, but isn't mandatory since I have the X-T3 for that if needed.

I'm literally looking at everything from the X-E2(s)/3 to an X-T2 or second X-T3, or even the X100 series cameras. I'm hesitant to buy an X100 series camera because of the non-detachable lens, but I also think going that direction might push my creative limits in a good way and force me to approach things differently.

The only thing I've ruled out entirely is the XT-10/20/30 series - I used to own an X-T20 and just didn't like the form factor.

For those of you who own multiple fuji cameras, what do you have, and what do you like about them? Does anyone own an X100 series camera with the fixed lens and have thoughts to share?

If I were in your situation, I'd be looking for a used XH-1, I wish I never sold mine, it was great. I only had it for a minute and sold it to a friend who had his stolen and they were out of stock everywhere. HE was so bummed and I felt bad for him and the funny thing is, we talked about him getting a backup because he had a XT20 or 30, can't recall and he didn't like it. I bought it it on a whim, on sale for like 999 with grip. It backed up my XT2 at the time. Now I don't have either, just my GFXR and the X100V and probably selling them.

If I were in your situation, I'd be looking for a used XH-1, I wish I never sold mine, it was great. I only had it for a minute and sold it to a friend who had his stolen and they were out of stock everywhere. HE was so bummed and I felt bad for him and the funny thing is, we talked about him getting a backup because he had a XT20 or 30, can't recall and he didn't like it. I bought it it on a whim, on sale for like 999 with grip. It backed up my XT2 at the time. Now I don't have either, just my GFXR and the X100V and probably selling them.

The XH1 is a camera I’ve always liked, but I think I want something smaller and more compact that I can use for daily stuff. Something that I can take on vacation with my fiancée and have her not yell at me for spending the entire trip taking photos

The XH1 is a camera I’ve always liked, but I think I want something smaller and more compact that I can use for daily stuff. Something that I can take on vacation with my fiancée and have her not yell at me for spending the entire trip taking photos

The X100V is a great little camera. Super image quality and very useful. Leaf shutter, lens, and hybrid viewfinder are top notch. I fondled the X-S10 at the camera store and it was small, impressive.

I have the XT2 and the XF10 (fixed 18mm lens but has some electronic zoom settings). I bought the XF10 for hiking, vacations, keeping in my purse, using as a wide angle when I have a zoom on the XT2... I really don't use it as much as I should. The fixed lens doesn't really bother me. For me the lack of a viewfinder is the huge issue. I shoot my XT2 without my glasses on and need to put them on to see the settings and lcd on the XF10 so if I don't have my glasses handy like when I'm hiking, it's a bit of a hit or miss. Right now the XF10 is a paper weight. It's in my bag but the battery is dead. I may give it to my mom since she's used it a bunch of times as a p&s and likes it... I will say the quality is significantly better than my iphone11 but only when zoomed in or blown up for printing.

Soon I'm planning on getting a 2nd body and currently trying to decide between the
XT2 - for consistency of controls, output and price
XT3 - some improvements and same batteries as the XT2
XT4 - if I'm going to spend that much what's a few $$ more to get the latest... but having different batteries from the XT2 and being heavier is in the minus column

I have the XT2 and the XF10 (fixed 18mm lens but has some electronic zoom settings). I bought the XF10 for hiking, vacations, keeping in my purse, using as a wide angle when I have a zoom on the XT2... I really don't use it as much as I should. The fixed lens doesn't really bother me. For me the lack of a viewfinder is the huge issue. I shoot my XT2 without my glasses on and need to put them on to see the settings and lcd on the XF10 so if I don't have my glasses handy like when I'm hiking, it's a bit of a hit or miss. Right now the XF10 is a paper weight. It's in my bag but the battery is dead. I may give it to my mom since she's used it a bunch of times as a p&s and likes it... I will say the quality is significantly better than my iphone11 but only when zoomed in or blown up for printing.

Soon I'm planning on getting a 2nd body and currently trying to decide between the
XT4 - if I'm going to spend that much what's a few $$ more to get the latest... but having different batteries from the XT2 and being heavier is in the minus column

Sounds like we’re in a somewhat similar place. The more I think about it, the more what I really want is a weather sealed X-E4, but sadly it doesn’t exist.

If I want weather sealing I’ve gotta go up to a second X-T series body, an X-Pro, or get the X100V and live with the fixed lens.

I think I’m leaning away from the X100V for two reasons:
1.) For the price, I can easily find a second X-T3 which is far more capable and would compliment my existing body perfectly. And if I have two, I wouldn’t worry quite as much about damaging one of them.
2.) The fixed lens is 35mm equivalent, which has never really been my favorite to work with. I much prefer 50mm equivalent FOV.. but then this may be a perfect reason to force myself to get better with something I’m not comfortable with.

Part of me is thinking of just grabbing an older model like the X-T1 or the X-E2 and making it my beater camera. They put out solid images still, and they’re plenty compact compared to the Nikon kit I used to work with.

Sounds like we’re in a somewhat similar place. The more I think about it, the more what I really want is a weather sealed X-E4, but sadly it doesn’t exist.

If I want weather sealing I’ve gotta go up to a second X-T series body, an X-Pro, or get the X100V and live with the fixed lens.

1.) For the price, I can easily find a second X-T3 which is far more capable and would compliment my existing body perfectly. And if I have two, I wouldn’t worry quite as much about damaging one of them.
2.) The fixed lens is 35mm equivalent, which has never really been my favorite to work with. I much prefer 50mm equivalent FOV.. but then this may be a perfect reason to force myself to get better with something I’m not comfortable with.

Part of me is thinking of just grabbing an older model like the X-T1 or the X-E2 and making it my beater camera. They put out solid images still, and they’re plenty compact compared to the Nikon kit I used to work with.

Weather sealing is a must have for me. I was happy as could be out in the snow last week with my Xt2 and 16-80 getting snowed on and have used it in rainy/damp conditions several times.

I have a 35mm f/2 and it's the sharpest and smallest lens I own but I never use it. I really should sell it and the Xf10 and the 90mm and 18-55 that I never use anymore.

Weather sealing is a must have for me. I was happy as could be out in the snow last week with my Xt2 and 16-80 getting snowed on and have used it in rainy/damp conditions several times.

I have a 35mm f/2 and it's the sharpest and smallest lens I own but I never use it. I really should sell it and the Xf10 and the 90mm and 18-55 that I never use anymore.

I almost never used my 90mm but it was my favorite Fuji lens ever. Just didn’t fit into my shooting style so I sold it, but I kind of regret that decision.

Have two X-T1s, 16/23/35/50 Fujicrons, and an X-100T. Shoot the X-100T most often. Think of the fixed 23/2 as opening a creative door, not a barricade. The 35mm equivalent is ideal for street, candids, travel. It's pin-sharp. The hybrid viewfinder is a small miracle. They're all metal, Japanese-made, and stealthy. X-100T and X-100F aren't pricey used.

If you want a small MILC, the X-E3 and new X-E4 are worth a look. They're a bit small but the optional Fuji hand grip helps greatly especially with bulky zooms.

Go for it.

ditto, i'd get the x-t4 and use the x-t3 as a back up. but if your stuck with a $1500 budget i'd go with a used x-t3 or x-t2. i prefer the x-t series over the x-pro series. i also had the x-e1 but found it too small to use comfortably with larger lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back