buying used d90 on ebay

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by austriker, Oct 18, 2009.

1. austriker

austriker TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    i am looking at a used d90 on ebay and it is a very good price. however the listing says " made in hongkong" does this mean it is gray market? it says there is a 4year warranty avaiblie with it and also the seller has 100% feedback. it is selling from australia though. i am in america, it should still work fine right?

is there anything else i should worry about when buying used camera's on ebay??

thanks!

2. msp1488

msp1488 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I read some where , some one said NEVER BUY A BODY ONLINE UNLESS ITS FROM AN AUTHORIZED VENDOR ! or they have a good track record

3. austriker

austriker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    huh good to know, but im looking for a steal b/c im a college kid and photography is bloody expensive. i just noticed the guy offers no returns so i may pass even though i could save like $300..

EDIT: Sorry i just realized that it sounds like i condemned you for the advice; not my intention at all. Thanks for the advice

4. msp1488

msp1488 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    lol its ok , dont worry i didn't find it offensive at all , and i agree , being in college and photography is expensive :/ , i wish you the best and keep searching . if any other offers returns , thats your next bet . wait for other member replies ,see if they offer better advice

5. Plato

Plato TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nikon warranties are ONLY for the original purchaser. They can NOT be transferred. Exactly where is that alleged 4-year warranty coming from? Further, if it is gray market (and I believe that it is), NikonUSA will not repair it even if you're willing to pay. Your only option will be private repair shops (which are not necessarily bad).

6. austriker

austriker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well sorry i read it wrong, it was a four month warranty. and the seller did not specify from where. anyways someone else bought it before me..

how important is this warranty issue? b/c i bought my d40 off of ebay about 11 months ago and i have had no problems.. do cameras generally have a lot of issues? or is it just because its nice to have 'insurance' on such a big buy?

7. Plato

Plato TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No, they generally don't have problems but you're purchasing a used item from a stranger. Did you ever consider that he's selling it because he broke it? Further, if he broke it, no waranty will help.

8. chip

chip TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think the D90 is made in Thailand but it would not be a good idea to buy a used camera from someone so far away.