By The Sea

Photoboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.clmcreative.com
I'm not a huge fan of pure black and white...I kind of prefer a darker, moodier duotone. This is a black and white I took during a family portrait shoot. His mom has been told on numerous occasions that he would be a great model. Admittedly, he has the build and structure for it.

She has now asked me to help prepare a portfolio for him.

What do you think of this shot? Any tips on how to improve it?

ByTheSea.jpg

Thanks!

My tips would be:

(1) Shoot as a portrait, and get his feet in shot
(2) Use a small aperture or telephoto lens to throw the background out of focus
(3) The main subject is underexposed because he is backlit: I guess his sweater was white, but it has been metered as a mid-tone grey. Either spot-meter off his sweater and add 1 stop, or just add 1½ - 2 stops to the camera's overall suggested exposure, to brighten him up

As mentioned, the subject is cut off at the bottom and even worse...is underexposed. This is a tricky scene to meter...especially because of his dark skin. It's much more important to get the model's exposure correct and let the background be over or under exposed. Shallow DOF would also help. Anyone looking at a model's portfolio won't care if the background is a nice scene or not.

I tend to agree with with the first two posts. Not being an expert, but from whats been posted here and on other forums, a fill flash may have helped. (maybe someone else can help with this)

IMO, as far as the pose, setting and subject, I think it is a great start to an awesome photo.

working with a fill light source would help this a bunch while maintaining the background. i also agree with the the others regarding composition etc. very nice start!

composition wise, yes. still need to work on subject illumination. nice!

jonmikal said:
working with a fill light source would help this a bunch while maintaining the background. i also agree with the the others regarding composition etc. very nice start!

Photoboy, my little ctritique about the lighting was learned on-line.(Iknew I could learn something on these forums). I also agree the second shot needs more subject light. Also a portrait mode shot to soften the shots may help.(I think that came out right).

I will tell ya one thing, you have a great eye for composition, IMO.
Maybe post more of his portfolio shots when ya get them.

Hey thanks for the compliment, Picksure!

The lighting was rough that morning as it was right after a storm and I was without any portable lighting source other than a small flash.
I am looking into better external flash units for my Digital Rebel. I was using the 55EX, but for some of the shots it didn't work as well as I wanted. (I may just need more practice. DUH!) :)

Here are a couple more from the shoot.

Eric_Shot2.jpg

And
Eric_Shot3.jpg

I think may be better cropped and lighted.

Thoughts?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back