C & C Did I focus Correctly??

Enem178

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kwaltonphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These are my 1st shots with my 40D out side. These are pix of a tree that fell in a park next to my building. I want to know if you guys think I focused/metered correctly? I want to know if they look like they came from a 40D in general? I'm still learning the camera but I still think my sony H3 was comparable (IQ Wise at least). I did some PP in photoshop sharpening, color, saturation, etc.. So what do you guys think? What do I need to adj?? They are in jpeg format..

IMG_0447_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0457_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0445_edited-1.jpg

The images look fine to me. In the second image the sky is starting to get blown out.

One thing to remember about DSLRs is that there is an anti-aliasing screen over the sensor and this actually reduces the sharpness of the image on purpose to reduce moire patterning. The 40D has a very strong anti-aliasing screen and you generally have to sharpen your 40D picture more to get a sharp image.

Images that come out of a P&S camera have been heavily processed in-camera, that's why the pictures look pretty good straight out of the camera. DSLRs don't process the images as much (or you choose how much it processes the JPEG) and then you do more editing when you post process to get the image looking the way you want it to.

But take a good look at the pictures that came out of the Sony and then compare them to the pictures that come out of the 40D and you'll begin to notice how much noise there is in the Sony images and that the colors don't seem as rich and there isn't as much contrast. In time you'll appreciate how much better the pictures coming out of the 40D really are.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I think alot of people such as myself expect that all things being equal, that a dslr will out shine a point & shoot. Now that you've explained it the way you did I under stand why dslr's operate the way they do. Your right, I did compare the two and while the sony does seem sharper the canon does have better colors and such. We wont even talk about high iso performance because it's obvious which one wins there!! Thanks for the insight!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back