C&C- help please! (Repost)

Wfpinky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Reposting because for some reason I was having a difficult time getting the pictures to show up on my other post.

Last weekend my friend and I shot our first wedding, I was her second shooter. It definitely pushed me out of my comfort zone but surprisingly it also helped me build a lot of self-confidence about my current abilities (which was something I really needed to work on). I'll be posting more in other posts I'm sure, I really want to make sure I get these right before passing them off to the bride and posting them. So please help me out! The first shot is one I really, really, love. Instead of a first look they decided to do a prayer with the pastor. Does it look too dark? The second shot: I love it but the sky looks way too blown out to me and it's really bothering me. Anyone have any tips on how to fix it? And the third shot: the lighting seems weird to me, can't put my finger on it. Is it a decent shot at all or am I kidding myself? Same goes for the fourth shot, something just seems off about it.
dsc_1912.jpg

rsz_dsc_2094.jpg

rsz_dsc_2067.jpg

rsz_dsc_2105.jpg

In on my phone but they all look significantly under exposed to me. A wedding is about the bride. Focus and meter so the bride is perfect, who cares about anything else!

In on my phone but they all look significantly under exposed to me. A wedding is about the bride. Focus and meter so the bride is perfect, who cares about anything else!

Thanks for the input! Not sure why they seem so dark, but that's an easy fix.

Here's some adjustments to color and tone to consider.

You noted a concern about blown highlights. If you're going to shoot a subject backlit without necessary fill light -- the last three photos -- then you're going to blow the highlights. Best to just leave them blown than to fill them in with brown.

Joe

dsc_1912 copy.jpg

rsz_dsc_2105 copy.jpg

The first shot is one I really, really, love. Instead of a first look they decided to do a prayer with the pastor. Does it look too dark? The second shot: I love it but the sky looks way too blown out to me and it's really bothering me. Anyone have any tips on how to fix it? And the third shot: the lighting seems weird to me, can't put my finger on it. Is it a decent shot at all or am I kidding myself? Same goes for the fourth shot, something just seems off about it.
If a shot looks too dark, it is probably underexposed, or at least parts of it are underexposed.

I don't understand the paranoia about blown sky. If you subject is exposed correctly, then who cares about the sky?

The third shot needs fill light. Pretty simple explanation, and easy "fix"; add light.

The fourth one; fill light again, and crop the top a bit.

I've done a few adjustments to all four. One the WB was off, and I corrected the exposure on all of them, and cropped a couple of them.

dsc_1912 - Version 2.jpg
rsz_dsc_2094 - Version 2.jpg
rsz_dsc_2067 - Version 2.jpg
rsz_dsc_2105 - Version 2 (1).jpg

Pretty good to see two different TPF posters each take JPEG images and process them for greater impact. I think the biggest piece of advice is from Ysarex (Joe) when he stated, "You noted a concern about blown highlights. If you're going to shoot a subject backlit without necessary fill light -- the last three photos -- then you're going to blow the highlights. Best to just leave them blown than to fill them in with brown." I wish more people felt that way!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back