C&C on Deer

tjones8611

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After only having a DSL for 9 months, I think its safe to assume an addiction has occurred. On the conservative side Im taking at least 200 photos every weekend. As this is my first winter with the camera, I so regret not taking more advantage of the warmer weather. When the temps drop below 20, any motivation to outside soon vanishes! With all that said, I did make it out last weekend in another attempt to photograph deer. This is my fourth attempt, and while better than the past, still not what I want. I used a tripod and a 70-300mm. I think I did well with the composition and exposure, but still have not gotten a high level of detail in the deer.

These were all shot at or near f7.1, ISO 100, at 1/100. I thought by shooting at or above f7 would help with the sharpness, guess I was wrong.

C&C welcome and appreciated, especially on how to increase detail. The only thing I can think of is getting closer to them and use a 100mm prime.

4241025073_7ca584c37d_b.jpg

4241025377_c147252772_b.jpg

4241799004_352a9f2b6d_o.jpg

THANKS!!

Probably shooting at 1/100th that's the problem.

Why would that be the problem?

I would try f/12 or higher if you can. Maybe raise the ISO and keep the shutter speed above 1/125 or 1/160

Im seen a kind of fog or washout photos that problem you can fix it on PS or with a UV or Polarizer filter.

Talking about composition the second one is my favorite.
Another thin I saw the pictures kind of soft.

I edit your first photo. Never PP is going to be as good as taking the photo good from your camera bue something like this is should be your goal. Hope that this help as an example:wink:

1a.jpg

My thought was slower would be better, since they were, for the most part still.

Animals usually don't stand still so you have to be prepared for them to move. Believe me, I make lots of errors.

Love the fact that you are able to get close enough to them to 'shoot'!!!

All the shots are very soft due to the low shutter speed, if you wanted to shoot at F7 you should have used a higher ISO to get at least 1/320, you have to remember to get a sharp image your shutter speed should not be lower than your focal length + crop factor, you also say the exposure looks good, i would say it only looks average

Faster shutter speeds result in sharper, less soft photos? I would agree with the exposure being average, but given my expereince with these deers in the past, average is good for me. My past photos the deer belended in with the background to much, very little contrast, also the past photos were taken on cloudy days with no tripod.

So is it fair to say, I should increase shutter, maybe kickup the ISO to 200 or 400, what would be a good range for the aperture? Does a lower fstop help with sharpness?

Yes faster shutter speed will make it sharper but i also noticed you shot at 300mm and that lens is not the sharpest at 300mm

The lens is terrible above 250, trying to make the best of it. my only other option is the Canon 28-135mm with a 1.7 TC, but I assumed the TC would also adversly affect the sharpness.

Most reactions

Back