C&C on DOF

Kyuss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This a picture of my dad's dog.

Is the DOF ruining this shot or is it ok? Should I aim to have the whole face in focus. Just trying to get some ideas and hone in on my low light shot taking.

I know it is noisy, I want it that way.

Thank you.

2689199007_665778fc4a_o.jpg

Yes and Yes......
I agree,, you did good about getting the eyes in focus, but the nose being so OOF is really quite distracting IMO

Focus on the eyes is key, and you have that here but maybe just a little more focus towards the nose might be better. I'm assuming you're wide open here, so try one or two stops of aperture adjustment to get slightly more depth while keeping the background blurry.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Sometimes its easy to forget about the DOF when the lighting is low and your all the way open.

I disagree. I think it brings all the focus straight into those soulful hound eyes.

Thank you,
That's why I really like this photo. The eyes are really dramatic. I was thinking that the blurry nose was going to distract it but every time I look at the photo, my eyes are drawn to the eyes and I don't get distracted at all. Although if I had to do it over, I would have wanted the nose more in focus.

if you were to increase your DOF though your low light shooting technique would need to go to either a tripod or a really high ISO. OBVI'S! (tween slang for obvious). Long shutter speeds with animals though can obviously be tedious. i actually really like the shot despite the blurred nose. didnt really take anything away from the photo for me.

Most reactions

Back