C&C on Flower

Is the link working?

worked for me

i would have gotten the entire flowers in the picture but not a bad picture

It's not particularly interesting. The composition technically follows the rule of thirds in a passing way, but the result of having two flowers like that makes the eye wander the picture looking for the central point of interest. The composition repels the viewer, funneling them through the image and then right on out, rather than drawing them in and keeping them there. The eye goes down the left then down the right, with a big empty gap in the middle that wastes space. Part of the problem here is that flowers are more or less a naturally dull subject that require a lot of work to make interesting, but it IS possible to take an interesting flower picture.

The color is fine, though maybe a hair dull. The pink on green is a fairly nice color mix, easy on the eye though it does not make the picture any more interesting. The light is too much from the top, the result being that the flower on the right in particular is shadowed. That is another contributor to the lack of visual direction.

Some ways to improve in the future would be to find a more interesting way to present the image. The flower is not a totally unworkable subject, you just have to think about it and approach it carefully. Think about creating a center of visual interest so that the eye naturally flows in towards your subject. Isolating a subject is a really key aspect of creating this flow, so that there's no question at all what you want the viewer to see in the image. Light is another key way to do that-- in this case some kind of reflector would have helped to get some light into the shadowed areas.

Hope this is helpful !

Also, just put an [img ] [/img ] (with the spaces removed) on either side of the jpg link to display it here. In order to follow flickr's ToS you should also link to the photo page (as in, where comments would be displayed, etc) which would be something like so your page's url [img ] your picture [/ img] [/url ]

Yeah, this was all before my DSLR era, only had a point and shoot with the breeze.
I liked it and my mom loved it, so wondered what the opinions were of more experienced photographers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back