C & C on ring shot

kkamin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinkaminphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wasn't sure about the direct reflection on the gem's face, but I thought having it cover half was my best option. I know there are a few blemishes on the ring, but this was first intended for Ebay so I ethically couldn't remove them.

Thanks, C & C would be great.

Alicia_day_two_84copy2.jpg

How did you stand the ring up like that?

I wasn't sure about the direct reflection on the gem's face, but I thought having it cover half was my best option. I know there are a few blemishes on the ring, but this was first intended for Ebay so I ethically couldn't remove them.

Thanks, C & C would be great.

A lot of glare off the silver, also think it would look better with a blue or darker background. Just my .02.

J.:confused:

How did you stand the ring up like that?

I used wax. It wasn't perfectly hidden so I had to removing it in post.

The wax I used was that orthodontic wax they sell in the toothpaste section of drug stores. It is used to smooth over sharp parts or wires on braces. You could also use a few drops of freshly melted candle wax.

The reflection of the ring you added in post is perpendicular to the ring.

I like the highlight on half of the stone, though, it gives good definition to the shape of the stone.

Right... but since you're using the inside of the ring as your reflection, flipping it deosn't give it the correct angle of reflection for the underside of the ring. You're right though, it's not 90 degrees off, probably more like 45. The top left edge of the reflection should be turned about 5 -10 degrees up (clockwise) from horizontal.

Last edited:
I don't think you'd see the underside of the ring because of the angle--it is leaning forward. Take a box and lean it forward a bit on a mirror and it becomes basically a flipped reflection imo.

Cindarella_2_Reflection_midsize.jpg

If you cover the stone part of the first ring, it gives you some perspective of the angle your reflection should be pointing.

Very cool how you stood it up like that. I agree on the reflection. It doesn't look quite right. It almost looks like you should flip it horizontally as well. Maybe it's just the angle it's at too...not sure.

I find too that it helps to blur the reflection layer slightly and add a gradient mask to it to let it falloff to pure white. Hope that helps.

Most reactions

Back