C&C welcome - Remembrance Day Nov 11 2008

bigtwinky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pierrebphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As I am learning as much as I can, I decided to bring my camera with my this year as I head down to Montreal's Remembrance Day memorial.

Took a bunch of pictures, and was left with a few that I am somewhat happy with. Taking pictures of a moving parade is pretty damn hard haha.

I would love to get some feedback from you all.
Thanks for looking!

_MG_3399.jpg

_MG_3401.jpg

_MG_3414.jpg

_MG_3432.jpg

_MG_3433.jpg

_MG_3458.jpg

_MG_3460.jpg

Since you asked.....

I think I see where you were going with 1 & 2, but it's a miss IMO, mainly due to the crop of the forground people.

#3 is great but you clipped his fuzzy ball.

Unfortunately the troops weren't working in synch with you on #4 & 5. If it had been just the one odd man out, then it would have been brilliant.

#6 has a distracting neon sign above his fuzzy ball.

#7 is another potentially very nice shot, but on this one, you clipped his fluffy ball.

All in all, you did a very nice job of showing us the events of the day. Thank you.

(Disclaimer: not being Canadian, I don't know what you call the fuzzy and fluffy balls on their headgear. No offence intended)

Thanks very much for the honest input, much appreciated :)
I actually cropped #6 from the many other distractions hehe. So much you can do when they parade downtown Montreal.

The fuzzy ball people are part of the Black Watch aka the Royal Highland Regiment. They were, many decades ago, mainly senior highlander regiment who were dark tartan. They play the bagpipes. In ww1, the 25 or so battalions of Black Watch fought in France and Flounders fields (where the poppy comes from). They also fought in every important British battle in ww2. They have fought in the Korean war and the Iraqui War in 2003.

They were given the name "the Ladies from Hell".

i like them all. but with the first one i would of focuesed more on a guy in the middle kinda frame him in with the out of focus people if that makes any since at all

Makes total sense. I think I actually did this in my set of pictures, not sure if it turned out well enough for me to keep it though. :)

Thanks for the tip!

Interesting pictures. I wonder why you chose the pictures with the guys looking at you.

Kundalini,

I believe that the word for the fluffy ball is 'hackle' or sometimes 'cockade', though I'm not sure that cockade is strictly correct terminology for the fluffy ball.

Best,
Helen
I'll leave it up to you dear readers to decide whether or not I'm one of the Ladies from Hell.

Edit: The fuzzy ball in the top of the tam or the beret is the toorie or pompom/pompon.

Just a small typo: the poppies came from Flanders, not Flounders, as mentioned in the poem In Flanders Fields by the Canadian Lt-Col John McRae.

Last edited:
I guess because most of the ones I took are of people not looking at me, and the few that do, kinda freeze that moment in time for me. As in for that instant, we are thinking the same thing...kinda... I dunno. :)

And thanks for the correction Helen...not sure what I was thinking with Flounders haha.

Hi bigtwinky

I was one of the guys on the parade and i was wondering if i could have those pictures you took that are not posted here.

PS:eek:n the picture #2 i am the guy furthest to the left wearing the Forge Cap (the red hat)

Of course you can!
I'll get a bunch of higher resolution jpegs ready for you and we can meet up (if you are still in town) and I can give it to you on a CD.

Or if you prefer, I can give you the RAW images.

Let me know!
You can email me directly at [email protected]

Most reactions

Back