C-Stand Overkill?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I just got myself a 47" Newer c-stand, and this thing is HEAVY duty. Like, really heavy. I don't know if I can see myself lugging this thing around on shoots, without a dolly.

I bought it to use with my new softbox, thinking I would need the extra sturdiness for outdoor shoots in windy conditions.

Do you think I could get by with a standard light stand with sandbags?

I'm considering returning it, and getting this video tripod I've been looking at instead.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It's purely a personal choice of course, but I MUCH prefer my C-stands for outdoor use; the base allows you to compensate for uneven ground, and you'd probably wind up lugging a greater weight in sandbags than that of the C-stand.

It all depends on
1 - the wind surface area of your softbox
2 - the speed of the wind
IMHO, I would NOT use a softbox in windy conditions, without an assistant at the softbox to control it.

It's purely a personal choice of course, but I MUCH prefer my C-stands for outdoor use; the base allows you to compensate for uneven ground, and you'd probably wind up lugging a greater weight in sandbags than that of the C-stand.

How do you transport them? This one stand is SO heavy!

And I probably would want to use my sand bags either way.

I might compromise and get these heavy duty standard stands instead: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074NY47J6/ref=twister_B07G82LMN2?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Last edited:
You might want to keep in mind that a C stand is heavy at the base and because of that it works well with the boom arm and a soft box, whereas a small light stand or even a medium light stand is way less stable. Yes C stands are heavy, and awkward, but they are excellent on uneven ground, and mine can even be stood on and will penetrate into relatively soft lawns.
The thing is I think you need to actually use the C stand, to see how great it is. When you want to light stand it won't get knocked over you want a C-stand

How do you transport them? This one stand is SO heavy!

And I probably would want to use my sand bags either way.

I might compromise and get these heavy duty standard stands instead: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074NY47J6/ref=twister_B07G82LMN2?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
I take them out of the truck and carry them over my shoulder...

Honestly, I don't see any benefit to those other stands aside from being stainless... they still won't deal with uneven ground, and they're not very heavy.

Most reactions

Back