Calabrating and LCD

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by WolfSpring, Nov 7, 2007.

1. WolfSpring

WolfSpring TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    do LCD moniters need to be calibrated for color to do good editing on photos? Or is that just CRT. And even if they should be, is it completely necissary for begginer level editing, or is it one of those, practice the actions of a pro as a begginer so that you will do it right when you reach higher levels?

2. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yes they do. It's not necessary for beginner level editing, but it makes it easier to get the prints you want if your monitor and printer are calibrated.

3. solrac8126

solrac8126 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    what brand is your monitor? most of them include some software to calibrate them, not as much on colors but on brightness and contrast. you can also use an icc profile to match your printer.
    http://www.displaymate.com/ offers some calibration tools , and when you know what to look for it can lead you to some other sources of information that might help.

4. WolfSpring

WolfSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I got some el cheapo Moniter it's westerland or soemthing a w with thee balls on the top points of the W and it's W underlined as such with a circle around all of that. It was a19 inch LCD moniter for 85 bucks, I wasn't going to pass on that about two years ago.

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with Sideburns. It's not fully necessary for beginner level stuff...but I had a heck of a time getting good prints until I properly calibrated my LCD monitor...so I would recommend it.

6. m1a1fan

m1a1fan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Westinghouse?

7. WolfSpring

WolfSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thats probably it m1a1

8. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is equiptment to buy to calibrate a monitor but if your looking for a cheap (free) way, print a photo out and then adjust the monitor match the printed photo. This is most likely not the best way but it will get you by. I find that when using photoshop if I increase my brightness to 25 the print very closely resembles my screen. If Im printing a photo that is very dark though I need to bump the brightness to 30 if not 35. On the screen it will look very bright but that does not translate into the print. This is just my bootleg version of color calibration but the end result is what Im looking for and thats all thatmatters to me.