Calm Water

gman172

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
taken at dovestones reservoir in oldham, uk

early morning and very still and reflective waters - it was cold and my hands felt like when you was a kid playin snowballs til you had to run home crying cos of the pain and felt like they were gonna sweel til they popped! - note to self.. must get some gloves.

first 2 light hdr processing
2 & 3 levels and hue edited in cs3
pic 4 edited in cs3 and a colour filter added

DoveStonesWideAngle027_8_tonemapped.jpg

Beach View

DoveStonesWideAngle084_5_6_tonemapp.jpg

View from a Rock

DoveStonesWideAngle018e1024.jpg

BW Skies

DoveStonesWideAngle014e1024.jpg

Moody Blues

DoveStonesWideAngle011eREDfilter102.jpg

Purple Haze

c & c pleeease

thanks

All these pictures look over-processed for my taste but more specifically, here are a few points, which bother me.

In the first two, the burnt areas in the sky are disturbing. They are the first things that caught my eye.

In the third one the hues of the sky and its reflection in the water don't match (the sky is mainly grey and its reflection blueish). Moreover the composition is not very interesting with the line between water and land just in the middle of the frame and nothing to look at in the botoom half.

For the fourth one, same problem with the composition and again the water is too blue compared to the sky.

For the last one, it is probably down to personal taste but I hate purple skies...

fair comments - it was very early in the morning (bout 6.30) and the light was barely there

someone i was there with his pics didnt even come out usable so i struggled with the colours

but you are correct in the fact i think i agree they seem overprocessed - i was just trying to draw something out of the pics.
what can i do with the burnt out areas of sky? - i always struggle with what to do

thanks for the comments tho

I like them... they are a bit "extreme"... but I like it! but then again, I like bold colors and sharp contrast... the type of pictures that will almost punch you in the face!!! hahaha...

what can i do with the burnt out areas of sky?

There is nothing you can do at the post-processing stage. If an area is burnt out, there is no data to recover. When taking the picture you could take 2 pictures, one correctly exposed for the foreground and one correctly exposed for the sky and then blend them during post-processing. You can also do it in camera (the old way) buy using a neutral density graduated filter over the sky.

oooh a fan!!

thanks - i do try (and get into a lot of trouble at home - when im there!!)

The second shot is stunning, I love it.

#2 is great

The second one is very nice, I like the depth. Part of the sky seems overexposed.

The last is cool too, but the color seems strange. <- Maybe that's how it looks though.

I don't care what everybody else says... I LOVE THEM! ALL... I would hang these on my wall for sure.

I for one love saturated colors in landscapes. :)

The colors are saturated, but to the point of making it seem like a fantasy where mutants roam the land.

A+ for pressing the boundaries of reality!

I like them a lot! However you should clone the dust spots out of them.

#2 really catches my eye. I really like the colors in this one. The sky also adds to it overall. The blown out sky is unfortunately something you can't fix after the fact.

#3 also catches my eye. I agree with steph though, too much water. You could very easily fix this with some cropping though.

Nice work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back