Camera Backpack for day hikes......

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by SBShots, Aug 3, 2010.

1. SBShots

SBShots TPF Noob!

I'd like to get one that can carry a small amount of food and a water bladder in a separate (ideally waterproof) compartment.

I don't yet have a DSLR but figure that I will have a standard entry level Canon/Nikon body with 1-2 lenses to carry.

Any recommendations?

2. PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Check adorama and B & H ..

3. Stephen.C

Stephen.C TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a Mountainsmith that I use, And really like.

4. LiveStrong2009

LiveStrong2009 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It really depends on your budget, I recently Purchased the Clik Elite Medium Nature Backpack. I am extremely satisfied with it, the photo compartment is just the right size, room for a body with lens attached + 2 or 3 more lenses depending on the arrangement and size. A side pocket with strap is designated for a tripod too.

It does also have a sleeve for a hydration bladder, the specs claim that it will hold 70 ounces, but I purchased the 70oz. camelbak bladder, and when full it did not fit well. Assume a 70oz bladder with 60oz in it will work well though.

The backpack also has a really nice system to adjust it to fit you very well. Plus you have the option of connecting a chest harness for your camera directly to the bag.

Overall, the quality and design are excellent; the biggest downfall is the price, it is around $200.

I ordered from adorama.com and have had fast shipping (free) and a really convenient return policy if you decide you want to swap things around. I really stand behind them for online photo gear.

CE401GR Clik Elite Medium Nature, Photographers Back Pack with Padded 450 c.i. Camera Bay & LadderFit Harness System, Gray ----ALSO AVAILABLE IN BLACK

-LiveStrong

5. SBShots

SBShots TPF Noob!

Does the Mountainsmith have a water bladder?

6. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    That's a nice bag, but in case OP is looking for something smaller and cheaper the Kata DR-465 isn't a bad option. It doesn't have a bladder compartment as such (though nothing stopping you putting a bladder in the top pocket), but it does have a side pocket for a drinkbottle. I can fit my 40d with 17-55 lens plus 1-2 other lenses and a speedlite. The top pocket isn't huge but for the overall size of the bag it's not too bad. I like it because it's small so I can take it mountain biking or hiking easily.

7. Morpheuss

Morpheuss TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    man it just hit me like a pie in the face... getting all the deployment gear is awesome... m-16 magazine pouches hold a lens very well and a grenade pouch works perfectly for memory cards/extra batteries and the canteen/general purpose pouch is great for a camera body if you have a small-regular lens on it or anything else. You get a nice back pack I got a vest that you can put all the pouches on and a camel pack.

Sorry for that reading about the gear just hit me across the face maybe if you hit up an army surplus store you might find some good stuff. might find some good stuff that is olive green if you don't want to get camo stuff.

8. Gaerek

Gaerek TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's the bag I use also for day hikes and things like that. It's light, I can fit my camera and up to 4 smallish lenses, or 2 smallish lenses and a longer lens, or combinations of that with a speedlite taking the place of a lens. The top comparment is a bit small, but there are ample pockets on the top front that can be used for whatever. It's a good bag and I'm happy with it.

9. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

You can always find ALL of this stuff on ebay much cheaper.
    Clik Elite Compact Sport Backpack f/DSLR and Lens, Gray - eBay (item 220646021604 end time Aug-29-10 13:51:49 PDT)

10. benlonghair

benlonghair TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've got the lowepro pro runner 350 aw. It is fairly expensive (about $150) but it's super comfortable and I haven't even scratched the surface of the amount of crap I can put in it.

It's even comfortable with my stupidly heavy tripod strapped to it.

11. Stephen.C

Stephen.C TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The moutainsmith does not have a specific area for a bladder, but it has a laptop pouch where a bladder would go, which could fit a very large one.

12. SBShots

SBShots TPF Noob!

Thanks! I've been looking around at some of these options....i'd like one to have a built in area for at least 100oz of water and still have enough storage for some other day-hike gear (food, slicker, etc)....my budget for this is probably $150-$200 or so