Time for me to ditch the mirror, maybe leave Nikon?

I still have my Pentax ME which is substantially smaller that a leica or my nikon fm2n of FE. But the last 2 with a 50 pancake is miniscule. If I hang a 35 mm zeiss distagon, that seems like it doubles the weight and balance. But both lenses are stellar. I understand the emotional connection. I shot 2 rolls a day for over 20 years through the pentax only using the in camera meter. I used it without having to think about it, just what I was shooting. But digital can give me the grain free brightly colored images of my fav, ektachrome. I want the tones of portra for skin tones and color pallette and the grain of 3200 speed b&w in both 35 mm and 645. Plugins get close but no cigar and shooting film is just fun.

@cgw thank you I would strongly consider Fuji just from the imagery I've seen here. - I really wonder why they don't have a full frame sensor in their lineup.

If you are shooting wildlife / sports / action then it's time for an upgrade.
I do shoot quite a bit of wildlife and I have done ok with the D800, but that's an area where I could benefit from some better AF technology, a few more fps would get a few more keepers.

I'm not going to get involved in any discussion, because I chose Fuji mirrorless directly in 2012 and never had any dslr.
Since I read that you want to play with Olympus lenses (I have OM lenses myself and find them better than old Nikon or Canon lenses) I would advise you to take a look at a - 2nd hand - Fuji mirrorless, e.g. XT-2, XE- 2, XT-20 or XT-30 body.

You can keep your Nikon and use Olympus lenses, Nikon lenses, Canon lenses, Leica lenses, Minolta lenses, etc. on your Fuji camera with suitable adapters. This requires only a small investment and offers a wealth of possibilities, I can tell you, just 4 weeks ago I bought a Fuji XT-20 in mint condition (6400 clicks) to have this body converted to infrared in a few weeks. This body cost me less than $325 and I also got 4 brand new batteries and charger worth $115 from the dealer.

If you want to mess around with lenses, etc., I would absolutely choose Fuji and APS-c - cropfactor 1.5
In your case, you wouldn't have to buy expensive Fuji lenses at all so you wouldn't have the idea you are using 2 systems side by side, which normally would require extra investments. If you don't feel like experimenting anymore, the damage is not that great (Fuji cameras do well in second-hand sales) and if you want you can also have the camera converted to infrared for extra fun.

My decision in 2012 lies in the fact that all Fuji cameras allow real manual work, also feel like film cameras and do not have complicated menu structures, WYSIWYG and the jpeg quality is also formidable.
Good luck with your final choice!

Thanks very much, gk. It really is a good solution to use all my lenses one one body. I will try to talk myself into considering aps-c. I don't think full frame makes inherently better images, I have an idea that I "see" in full frame FOV and DOF when I try to envision my shots. Having different sensor sizes between film and digital seems like it would be a mental roadblock. I will have to think more about it.

I moved over to the Z7II recently and after all the hemming and hawing I did, I now wish I had made the switch sooner.

This is going to happen to a lot of folks who, if they are honest, are currently saying "I don't need no stinkin' mirrorless" and then once they get one will say, "Wow, this is great." The technology is mature.

As for switching brands, I cannot because I have a big investment in good glass. I shoot the R6 and it really does live up to the hype. It truly is like a small 1DX Mark III. In fact, there are things it does that the 1DX Mark III cannot.

I'm sure the Nikon mirrorless are very good and Sony has an excellent reputation. So if glass is not holding you back, make the switch and pick whatever brand you like best. In fact, this is where heading in to a camera store and checking each one out really pays off.

B&H sells an adapter for the Olympus OM lens to Nikon Z camera:

Like many internet reviewers, I would take KR's comments with a grain of salt.
Before you rely on ANY reviewer, you have to study the reviewer, to determine their bias and point of view. If it matches yours, OK. If not, you have to filter what they say.
There is another reviewer that I now usually ignore, because of his bashing of any camera with a smaller than FF sensor.

Staying with Nikon dSLR; the older D810 or current D850.

Or going Nikon mirrorless, with the Z cameras.
One catch with the FTZ adapter on the Z. It will ONLY autofocus the electronic AF-S and AF-P lenses. It will NOT autofocus the mechanical AF lenses (the ones that have the AF screw on the mount).

Canon mirrorless R is a good option to the Nikon Z.

But the 800 pound gorilla in the corner of the room is Sony. And Sony has become a serious competitor.
Sony has many more generations of mirrorless cameras, and have refined the cameras. Nikon and Canon are only into their 2nd generation of FF mirrorless cameras.
The Sony lens landscape has matured to be about where the Nikon and Canon dSLR lens landscape is. And it is Nikon and Canon mirrorless lenses that are lacking, where they need to use some of the dSLR lenses on the mirrorless cameras.

About the Nikon Z and Canon R lens landscape.
The mirrorless lens systems are a "work in process." Not all of the lenses are available, and some will not be for years.
If they have the lenses that you want, then that is not an issue.
But if the lens that you want is not available in native Z or R mount, then you have to use a dSLR lens via an adapter on the Z or R camera. Or, WAIT until the lens becomes available in the native Z or R mount.

About the APS-C mirrorless cameras.
I know nothing about the Fuji cameras.
But, historically, both Nikon and Canon have positioned the APS-C cameras as consumer grade cameras. And if you want PRO grade lenses, there were maybe 1 or 2, otherwise you had to put a FF lens on the APS-C camera. And the selection of APS-C lenses is disappointing.
Example1: I have a FF Nikon 70-200/4 on my APS-C Nikon D7200, for that exact reason. There is no production APS-C equivalent lens to the FF 70-200/2.8, which would be a 45-135/2.8. The closest is the FF Tamron 35-150/2.8-4.
Example2: The only Nikon dSLR APS-C prime is the 35/1.8 normal lens. Canon APS-C does not even have this lens, but they have other primes.
Having said that, over time, the consumer grade lenses have been getting better and better. And some are quite good.
So based on history, I do not expect the Nikon or Canon APS-C mirrorless systems to be any better than their dSLR counterparts were. And with the emphasis on the FF mirrorless, I think it will take quite some time for their APS-C camera line (including lenses) to get up to speed. Although Canon had a headstart here.

I think if you like shooting film you’d love the Fuji xt series. A used xt2 might be the way to go.

@zulu42 Your comment made me realize that it been awhile since I'd heard from Derrel. We continued as friends on FB, but there hasn't been any activity in a few months now. Just sent him a message.

As to equipment it's easy to catch GAS and start mortgaging everything you own to get the latest greatest piece of equipment, but really taking the steps to become more accomplished in the craft is a lot more difficult. The adage "equipment doesn't make the photographer" was just pointed out recently when a newbie posted several images, the best of the bunch was actually taken with an I phone.

There's nothing wrong with wanting the latest, if the equipment buzz floats your boat, go for it, but if improving your photography is the goal, your dollars would be better spent on taking a class, workshop, or buying a book.

I'm not going to get involved in any discussion, because I chose Fuji mirrorless directly in 2012 and never had any dslr.
Since I read that you want to play with Olympus lenses (I have OM lenses myself and find them better than old Nikon or Canon lenses) I would advise you to take a look at a - 2nd hand - Fuji mirrorless, e.g. XT-2, XE- 2, XT-20 or XT-30 body.

You can keep your Nikon and use Olympus lenses, Nikon lenses, Canon lenses, Leica lenses, Minolta lenses, etc. on your Fuji camera with suitable adapters. This requires only a small investment and offers a wealth of possibilities, I can tell you, just 4 weeks ago I bought a Fuji XT-20 in mint condition (6400 clicks) to have this body converted to infrared in a few weeks. This body cost me less than $325 and I also got 4 brand new batteries and charger worth $115 from the dealer.

If you want to mess around with lenses, etc., I would absolutely choose Fuji and APS-c - cropfactor 1.5
In your case, you wouldn't have to buy expensive Fuji lenses at all so you wouldn't have the idea you are using 2 systems side by side, which normally would require extra investments. If you don't feel like experimenting anymore, the damage is not that great (Fuji cameras do well in second-hand sales) and if you want you can also have the camera converted to infrared for extra fun.

My decision in 2012 lies in the fact that all Fuji cameras allow real manual work, also feel like film cameras and do not have complicated menu structures, WYSIWYG and the jpeg quality is also formidable.
Good luck with your final choice!
There are some incredible Leica lenses that produce the "leica look" that is readily identifiable and loved by many. Those lenses can range for 3 grand to 20 grand. 20 blade shutters not 7 or 9. Hmm, a grand a blade?

Having just made mostly the same decision, although I did look hard at the Z7II, I stuck with the mirror and Nikon.

I jumped from film Nikon to digital with 3 good primes and 2 decent brand ex zooms. I shipped the primes off to be adapted for the 850, just have to shoot manual but I'm no stranger to that.

You should do what's best for you. My brother and his son jumped from Nikon to Cannon and love it. I've used Cannon for my point n shoot travel box. I had a Nikon P/S, and it just did not come up to snuff when compared to Cannon for me. But with 35mm, I lean the other way.

Go to an old fashion camera store, if there is still one near you, and try them all out. You can tell pretty quick if something else is ticking all the boxes for you.

Go to an old fashion camera store, if there is still one near you, and try them all out. You can tell pretty quick if something else is ticking all the boxes for you.

So true. It is worth the little extra you might pay. They're all capable of excellent image quality. It is how you interact with the gear that often makes the difference. As @SquarePeg points out, film shooters often gravitate to Fuji's ergonomics.

So true. It is worth the little extra you might pay. They're all capable of excellent image quality. It is how you interact with the gear that often makes the difference. As @SquarePeg points out, film shooters often gravitate to Fuji's ergonomics.

As an OLD film shooter, I like dials. KISS
With front and rear dials, I can change aperture and shutter speed easily and quickly, just like on my film camera. No need to press a button to switch the single dial from shutter to aperture. Yes, I HATE single dial cameras.
The less I have to go into the menu to do something, the faster I can do the change.

Now that you mention ergonomics, there is such a thing as "too small."
If you have big hands, some of the mirrorless cameras might be too small to comfortably use.
A small camera is nice for travel, where size and weight are an issue.
But for WORKING, you want it large enough to be able to hold and use it comfortably, maybe for hours.

In a way, it is like my nephew's car. Small easy to drive and park, but getting into that car was a chore, and I'm a kinda smallish guy. It failed the "get in/get out" test.

@zulu42 Your comment made me realize that it been awhile since I'd heard from Derrel. We continued as friends on FB, but there hasn't been any activity in a few months now. Just sent him a message.

As to equipment it's easy to catch GAS and start mortgaging everything you own to get the latest greatest piece of equipment, but really taking the steps to become more accomplished in the craft is a lot more difficult. The adage "equipment doesn't make the photographer" was just pointed out recently when a newbie posted several images, the best of the bunch was actually taken with an I phone.

There's nothing wrong with wanting the latest, if the equipment buzz floats your boat, go for it, but if improving your photography is the goal, your dollars would be better spent on taking a class, workshop, or buying a book.
It would be great to hear at least that Derrel is doing okay, even if he's not interested in the forum.

Your advice is always appropriate in a GAS thread, but, yeah, I don't believe a class or book will let me interchange my various lenses from film to digital the way I'd like. My camera fund happens to be pretty flush with the recent sale of a Contax 645 w/ Zeiss lens:chuncky:

My phone also takes great pictures but people like us like to shoot our grandkids with some decent gear. Not saying I couldn't use another class or more books, though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back