Camera Decision

DanOzSTX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I originally posted this on a non camera related forum (that has a photography subtopic), but since then I have decided I need more advice...

Right now I have a Kodak Easyshare CX7330 camera. It works good enough for me. There are only 2 things I have problems with this camera. One is I broke the battery door and have to tape it shut (most likely repairable for about $20) the other is that it eats batteries like theres no tomorrow. I use rechargeable NiMH batteries in it now, but hate to have to constantly carry at least 3 sets of batteries with me. I think I can get a rechargeable Lithium Ion battery for it, which should solve part of the battery problem I hope, but maybe there is something about the camera that makes is suck batteries down.

On the other hand, I have my tax refund and have been eyeing up a Canon P&S it is smaller and comes with the Lithium Ion battery. I like this camera because it also uses SD cards which I have a few of around. My wife almost the same model (hers is discontinued, but I will get the new model) and she loves it. She doesnt take pics as often as Id like to, but she can let it sit for months with the battery in and still have them ready.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Cano...roductDetail.do

I know a digital SLR is the best, but Im not ready for that investment yet, and really prefer a small compact camera that I can easily take anywhere on my belt

Anyone have any suggestions or opinions. There are a million things I want to buy, and the budget never matches up to it (naturally)

(afterthoughts) Today I purchased a Samsung Digimax L60 from Target. After only a few shots (and admittedly, not reading the manual) I know I am taking this one back. I didnt like it, it does not seem user friendly enough for me (which my Kodak is) Unless someone can convince me otherwise I am only looking for 2 major things, a Lithium Ion battery, and able to use an SD card (which Im marginal on now) I am not convinced that I can pretty much grab my camera anytime and take pics with anything but the LithIon batteries (obviously I know I do have to charge it eventaully)

Can anyone point me in a better direction?

Thanks
DanO

It is good to have a Lithium Ion battery. they hold a charge longer (even when not in use). The other things to look for when choosing a camera are:

Shooting modes such as Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority, even a manual mode. I am not a fan of the other modes such as landscape,nighttime,etc.. but that is my personal opinion FWIW.

Try the camera- Is it easy to hold, not too large OR too small?

Are the controls,and menu options easy to use and navigate?
Those factors will make a difference as to how much you use the camera .

Viewfinder- If you plan on using it,Is it large enough for you? When you move up to a DSLR you have to use the viewfinder

Digital zoom-Stay away from it, it will degrade the quality of the image.

Be prepared to get hooked,:lol:

In a year we will guide you toward a DSLR

your exactly where i was at about 6 months ago :) now i own an xti

Yep, It's going to happen to DanO also, then will come the lenses, and filters and.... Ooh Birthday & holiday gifts. Then you start "seeing" photo opportunities everywhere you go.
Yes DanO, It has happend to all of us and there is no cure,Not that we would try one.:lmao:

DanOzSTX,

There are only a few things you need to consider before purchasing any digital camera.

1. Battery Life - Go for the one that has good battery life (some high end cameras drain battery like there's no tomorrow, be careful).

2. Number of Mega-pixels - The higher the number of mega-pixel, the better. But remember that higher mega-pixel cameras use up a lot of space. If you are buying a camera for personal use or for sharing with friends and family via e-mail / website then a camera between 4-5 mega-pixel is the best.

3. Lense -
A zoom lens is a technical as well as mechanical assembly of lens elements with the ability to vary its focal length. Zoom lenses are often described by the ratio of their longest to shortest focal lengths. For example, a zoom lens with focal lengths ranging from 100mm to 400mm may be described as a 4:1 or "4×" zoom. I would recommend getting at least 4x optical zoom in any camera you buy.

4. Exposure control panel -
High end digital cameras, for professionals, give greater control of exposure settings where as cheaper digital cameras only allow you to shoot photos in automatic mode. You will have no control on shutter speed etc. If you are an advanced user or want to go pro then I recommend buying cameras that give you more control as you would like to tweak the shutter speed and aperture to capture fast moving objects or blur the image background.

5. User control -
If you decided on buying one of the cheaper cameras then make sure to buy one that is easy to use. Some functions such as setting resolution, macro mode, flash and exposure should be within easy reach. Don’t be shy play with the camera first in the store. Try all the controls and once you are comfortable enough buy it.

Hey, I gave all the details which I am supposed to put on me website which is still under construction. :)

Thanks for your advice everyone.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Kodak_EasyShare_Z612/4505-6501_7-31738566.html

This is what I ended up with. I havent made much opportunity to use it, but I like it alot so far.

Today I had it at work and was messing around taking pics of the parking lot across from where I was sitting. I was seeing how far it could focus in and was ready to take a pic. Just as I hit the button an SUV (with a nice looking female) drove into the picture. She saw me take the picture. I bet she was thinking Im some sort of stalker or something. The pic came out nice enough, but I deleted it in case my wife wanted to see what Ive been taking pics of.

Most reactions

Back