camera dpi question

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by guitarkid, Apr 21, 2007.

1. guitarkid

guitarkid TPF Noob!

I was wondering if there is a way to adjust the dpi in the camera as the photo is shot....original in the camera? I don't know if this is possible but my Canon 20D shots are 240 dpi? and my Canon 30D is 300 dpi. maybe it's just how it is out of the box. I heard that is just how it is and if I need shots with a minimum of 300 dpi then i need to use the 30D? Yes I know you can change the dpi in photoshop but that is pixel stretching, etc. I'm talking right out of the camera.

thanks,
    steve

2. coastietech

coastietech TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Good question! I am interested in the answer to this question as well.

3. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  4. guitarkid

guitarkid TPF Noob!

Saw that thread before in the past, thanks. It discusses printer and photoshop dpi whereas my questions is, can you adjust this right in the camera? There is always the difference between the 20D and 30D regardless of photoshop and printers used as if it's hard-coded on the cameras processor / chip.

thanks,
    Steve

5. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    it can't be adjusted in the camera.
    And the 20D produces jpegs at 72dpi - mine did for 18months before i upgraded.

The point is it doesn't matter what the camera shoots in - the important thing is the printing quality.

6. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Lew

7. BoblyBill

BoblyBill TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yay!!! I can actually answer this one in a educated way... OK... lets start with this. No you can't change the DPI of the camera (unless you change the size of picture you are making but disregard this for a second). Let's say I have a camera that takes a 3000x2000 (6 MP) pixel picture. If I put this picture on my computer, it will be the computer that places the default DPI on the picture... (In fact my computer asigns my pictures from my 3.1 MP (2160x1440) camera to 8x12 at 180dpi). What you should be able to do is to calculate the size of the file (i.e. pixels) by multiplying the dpi by one of the sides (i.e. 8x180 = 1440 and 12x180 = 2160). You can kind of think that the computer automatically asigns a size to the picture. So... If you have a camera that produces a 3000x2000 pixel picture you could print:
    20x30 at 100 DPI
    12x18 at 166.6666 DPI
    8x12 at 250 DPI
    4x6 at 500 DPI

Most software will probably automatically assume you will want to print an 8x12 so it will pick the DPI that would be apropriate for that size file. I hope that makes sense.

8. guitarkid

guitarkid TPF Noob!

thanks, it kind of does but it's too much thinking for me since i don't know what sizes the bride and groom want to print. i just take the photos in raw, edit in CS2, export to tiff, crop if need be, usually not, then rename and export to jpg. anyway, when it is in RAW form i noticed in the lower right that every time the 20D says 240dpi and the 30D says 300dpi. this was in the bridge part of CS2...when editing RAW files. i don't care about printing, or any of that stuff. just wanted to know if the 20D will ever show 300dpi like the 30D does in RAW files. i'm sure i can't and i'm cool with that since both cameras take very nice photos and never had complaints on photos that came from the lab.

the main reason i ask this is because the lab i work with prefers 300 dpi images when working with wedding albums....digital wedding albums where the photos are part of the page...so if the 20D does 240dpi, you know what i'm saying here. i guess i don't care.

thanks,
    steve

9. THORHAMMER

THORHAMMER TPF Noob!

if your shooting raw then dpi pretty much meaningless for your purposes..
    edit the raw files to show proofs...

export them as 4x6

when they have picked out what they want just pull up the allready edited raw file of those shots, re crop based on what they want and re export at the appropriate size.

10. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    simple answer .. the DPI which comes with a digital file is totally meaningless. hence it does not matter if in your jpeg it says 72 or 300 dpi or whatever.
    just always chose highest resolution and don't delete the files.

11. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    dpi is meaningless for any kind of digital format.

12. guitarkid

guitarkid TPF Noob!

thanks Alex, i will just ignore the differences then. i shoot in RAW, make my changes and color corrections in RAW, export to tiff, crop if i need to, then export the hi rez tiff to hi rez jpg. from there they are about 4 or 5mb in size, the jpegs.....i then copy all jpgs to a DVD and mail off to the lab. they use these hi rez jpgs for when people order prints.

on my end i import all the same photos in the software supplied by the lab and they are automatically resized to thumbnail resolution, and they are uploaded to the lab's servers. users can go to my proofs link and view the photos instantly. that is how i do it. the photos are automatically resized for thumbnails.

i don't mess with proof books or anything like that. if users want proofs i can order them but i don't offer them. i do offer an entire proof book where the photos are printed on pages and bound with a leather bound folder front and back. that is also from the lab. i just need to click a button and say MAKE PROOF BOOK and the software uploads my order to their servers and i get a nice book in about 2 weeks.

steve