Camera fell. Problem with my 6D, so sad

You have to remember that charge is (a) the part, and (b) the cost for labor to disassemble the camera, swap the shutter, re-assemble, etc.

I recall (in the "way back machine") the days when we'd have computer boards or other devices that would fail, be completely repairable, but instead we'd pitch them in the bin and buy a new one. Labor costs were the biggest element of the price tag.

If you get your car repaired, the shop probably charges somewhere in the neighborhood of $75-125/hour for labor. Consider the price tag for any skilled labor (and consider the cost of other equipment that the shop needs to have to be able to perform the repair.)

Consider what the gear would be worth after the repair is performed vs. the cost of the repair vs. what else you might be able to get for that money.

A refurbished body sells for $1100. A "used" body would cost less, but you'll have a "new" shutter vs. a shutter with a lot of mileage on it. In this case, I'm guessing it's probably worth it to repair it.

Also... look into insurance (which won't help you now... but if this ever happens again... it won't be so painful.)

You have to remember that charge is (a) the part, and (b) the cost for labor to disassemble the camera, swap the shutter, re-assemble, etc.

How do we know the shutter is being replaced? I don't think she ever said what the diagnosis was.

Just a guess but a shutter replacement should only be about $300 total. A mirror box replacement is pricer than a shutter replacement. I would put my money on the mirror box instead of the shutter.

Just my 2 cents.

Just got Canon's estimate via email... $486.75

*passes out*

I better sell a sh*tload of prints of this damn Aurora shot, because it's become an expensive picture.

WHAT??????
You gotta be kidding. Holy crap......what the heck was the diagnosis that cost that much?

That's pretty strong.

Holy crap I've been gone for a week and come back to a zillion new replies lol.

Well, it turned out to only be $296. *only* haha. After I paid the $487 whatever, because it was still cheaper than a new camera, then they came back with an adjusted estimate and charged me again BEFORE the $487 refund had posted to my bank which gave me another heart attack and almost overdrew my bank account.

I got it back... with a note that said "it was found the connection flux on the circuit board was loose. The flux was repaired.

Most of the charge was labor :( I don't know where a connection flux is, but it must be way in there/a lot of work? I thought for sure it would be a shutter or mirror replacement. But it's all cleaned up and it seems a lot more responsive, if that makes sense? Like it seems "snappier." I donno, it feels like it did when it was brand new.

That had to be a massive gust of wind. My Manfrotto is super solid.

It was a massive gust of wind. I was pissed. It was barely breezy and then it's like the hand of God came down and knocked the whole thing over.

Connection flux??

I've worked with electronics most of my life and that term sounds like it falls right in with flux capacitors, muffler bearings, a can of elbow grease and an O pipe.

Sounds like something was knocked loose in the crash and the repair was all labor to find and correct it. The fact that they felt it necessary to assign a fictitious name seems a little odd for a company like Canon.

But point being it's great that you're back in business and with a smaller bill than was expected. Good on you.

flux is a soldering term, but it wasn't used correctly here.

layman's term: a connection broke, they fixed it.

I didn't know the 6d had a flux capacitor .... gotta get myself one of those if they do !!

Good to hear that you got your camera back and all is operational again !!

Connection flux??

I've worked with electronics most of my life and that term sounds like it falls right in with flux capacitors, muffler bearings, a can of elbow grease and an O pipe.

Sounds like something was knocked loose in the crash and the repair was all labor to find and correct it. The fact that they felt it necessary to assign a fictitious name seems a little odd for a company like Canon.

But point being it's great that you're back in business and with a smaller bill than was expected. Good on you.

Hahaha, I'm not an electronics person at all so really would have no idea if a connection flux was an actual thing or not. I agree with your assessment though. I sent it to the Virginia repair center since, at ~1000 miles from me, it was the closest by 100 miles or so. Canon was speedy with responses, and when I called them once they were helpful, but yeah I wish they'd been a little more detailed in their explanation of what, exactly, was fixed.

Regardless, $296 was a lot easier to swallow than $487. And my camera is back, and runs fine now, and I'm just glad it's over.

Hahaha, I'm not an electronics person at all so really would have no idea if a connection flux was an actual thing or not. I agree with your assessment though. I sent it to the Virginia repair center since, at ~1000 miles from me, it was the closest by 100 miles or so. Canon was speedy with responses, and when I called them once they were helpful, but yeah I wish they'd been a little more detailed in their explanation of what, exactly, was fixed.

Regardless, $296 was a lot easier to swallow than $487. And my camera is back, and runs fine now, and I'm just glad it's over.

It sounds like it broke a solder loose on the board, I have no clue why they would use a term like "Connection flux" that is just wrong! Maybe it was the guy in billing that got it wrong.

It sounds like it broke a solder loose on the board, I have no clue why they would use a term like "Connection flux" that is just wrong! Maybe it was the guy in billing that got it wrong.

That would make sense, considering the Err 20 I got meant "a connection is loose" according to the Canon explanation for their error codes.

Her camera is rare .. it takes pictures of the Future :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back