Camera for class

slat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My daughter is taking a class in college,The Art of Film. She needs a 35mm film camera such as a Canon AE-1 or a Pentax K1000. Looking for other comparable options and where to purchase one.

There are many. The Olympus OM series (OM-1, OM-2, Om-3, OM-4) are popular with ladies due to their compact size. But, the good old Pentax K-1000 is, by far, the most popular student camera of all time.

Lots of cameras are available on eBay. Just be sure to buy from a seller who is an experienced seller of vintage cameras and can guarantee that it is in good condition and working properly. These are usually listed on eBay as "refurbished" cameras.

You might do well with one of the reputable sellers of used/vintage cameras like Used Photography Cameras & Equipment - Buy and Sell Online ; they list their film cameras on their ebay outlet page. You could also try Adorama's used dept., or maybe the Pittsburgh Camera Exchange. I'm not familiar with Olympus but the Pentax or the Canon you mentioned should be good choices..

I was gonna suggest KEH.com////but vintagesnaps has already done so!

Great minds, Derrel...

The suggestions above are great - I've used most of them before with good results. If you have a local brick and mortar camera store, you might try there as well. My local store does consignments and every once in a while, a bargain shows up. Also, you could get access to knowledgeable help if your daughter needs it

I use Ebay for pretty much all vintage/used stuff, great deals can be had but granted there is a chance of getting burned.

It also depends on what the class requires. They may want the student to have a camera with full manual options in which case a Nikon FE-2 with 50mm 1.8 would be my choice. You can grab one for under $100 if you look around. I have a Nikon FT that I also really like (still go with the 50mm 1.8 or 1.4), the FT is a bit older and perhaps of higher build quality but at the cost of weight. You should have no problem re-selling these if she has no interest after the class.

I had an AE-1 briefly that I sold but they are nice.

If you are adventurous, local flea markets, antique stores, and thrift shops can be loaded with treasures.

Last edited:
We sell used cameras here at my store..... Schiller's Camera 314-968-3650....ask for Jim Brooks. We usually always have a K1000 (THE student camera) in stock.

Support your local camera store if possible. My local shop has a display case of used items with an AE 1 and a K1000 in there today.

I've dealt with this guy and recommend him highly. Fair prices, as described, fast shipping, and excellent communication. This camera has excellent shutter speeds for a camera that old. It's ready to shoot and it won't be there long.

Pentax MX4041504 and SMC Pentax 50/2 lens 3907643

Most reactions

Back