Camera for sports.... Help!

ALmomof3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm a mom with a daughter in gymnastics & I want to buy a new camera for sports/action shots. Can you help me pick out the right camera & lens? I have a $1000 budget. Thanks

Canon 40d and 70-200 f/4-------$900'ish used.

This is what I would suggest right off the bat. Is this all you would be shooting?

One of the most important features isn't the camera... but rather the lens. Any indoor sport OR outdoor sport played under lights usually offers very poor lighting and kit lenses are challenged to collect enough light.

Get a "fast" lens. That means you want a lens with a low focal ratio. HOWEVER... skip the 50mm f/1.8 because that lens doesn't have a particularly fast focusing motor (so by the time it focuses you'll have missed a lot of shots.) The EF 50mm f/1.4 USM would be a good choice and there are many others. (I am _not_ recommending you buy this specific lens. We'd need to know what sports you'll be trying to photograph and where you'll be standing to give a better lens recommendation. I'm just using this lens as an example.)

As for the camera itself, you want a good focusing system. The Canon 7D really is the ideal sports body, but it's a little above the budget you stated (the body alone -- no lens -- is about $1200 right now.) Of the current bodies, you might also look at the 60D or the T4i (the T4i is also marketed as the 650D). Those two bodies each have 9 point autofocus systems in which all 9 points are "cross type" (more accurate and faster focusing. BTW, the 7D has 19 "cross type" auto-focus points.). None of them will include a "fast" lens ideally suited for sports.

How far will you be from the action? Like above, I was going to suggest a 7D since it's known to be a sports camera. My friend got the 85mm f1.8 lens to shoot his son's soccer games, and he's liking it so far. I have this lens, and it's quick to focus, and offers great image quality. But if you're not going to be far from your daughter, like stated above, a 50mm f1.4 lens might be suitable.

I wouldn't get a T3i or anything lower as well. I have a T2i, and I don't feel that its AF system is quick enough to capture action shots.

If it's out in daylight/or is in a place with really good lighting, a T3i or lower wouldn't be bad. I shot these with my T2i and 85mm f1.8 lens. I wish I used a tripod instead of panning by freehand though.

$260447_4630516047238_843436929_n.jpg

$319457_4630518287294_1001770518_n.jpg

$558759_4630519847333_1797132425_n.jpg

Can freeze the action if it's bright enough in the area as well:

$195850_4630509367071_1403083507_n.jpg

Hopefully my posts can somewhat help you. The T4i has a much improved AF system over the T3i and lower, just in case you were wondering.

Keep your camera and buy a better lens for it if you can. The lens will likely maker a bigger difference.

For indoor sports you probaly want a lens with a focal length of of 70-200mm or mor with the largest possible aperture (lower f value)... ie f/2.8 is better than f/4).

I also suggest a lens that offers image stabilization or vibration reduction (depending on the brand it may be called something different).

gw2424 's recomendation is a pretty good choice for that budget I think...

:drool:I think the T3i is just fine, and actually has better low light performance than the T4i, less the multiple cross type AF sensors. In mediocre light, like in a gymnasium, I have no problem with AF at all, and I think the 85 1.8 would be perfect for gymnastics. IS/VR I believe would be negligible and a waste of weight. In gymnastics, you won't often be shooting at any type of slow shutter speed so it wouldn't be beneficial in the slightest.

:drool:I think the T3i is just fine, and actually has better low light performance than the T4i, less the multiple cross type AF sensors. In mediocre light, like in a gymnasium, I have no problem with AF at all, and I think the 85 1.8 would be perfect for gymnastics. IS/VR I believe would be negligible and a waste of weight. In gymnastics, you won't often be shooting at any type of slow shutter speed so it wouldn't be beneficial in the slightest.

I assume the T3i and the T2i has the same AF system, no? Maybe I'm putting too high of a standard on it since I've really only shot in either outdoors, or dim places. lol. My friend with a T2i said the same thing, but I'm not really sure how poor his lighting situations were either.

In anything worse than 45 mins after sunset (imagine that level of lighting), it's pretty bad, but in a gym with a ton of lights, I have never had any problems. I do center point focus only though.

In anything worse than 45 mins after sunset (imagine that level of lighting), it's pretty bad, but in a gym with a ton of lights, I have never had any problems. I do center point focus only though.

Ah, gotcha. I've never really been in a "legit" gymnasium before
redface.gif

Yeah, center AF point as well for me.

Is there any particular reason you want a Canon?

Is there any particular reason you want a Canon?
I don't believe she expressed interest in either direction. I only know Canon, so that's all I can really suggest lol

Set aside ALL low-blow Nikon vs Canon arguments, the lower end Nikon DSLRs tend to perform better in low light than the lower end Canon DSLRs. Sports like gymnastics are generally indoors, so you want 1)a fast lens 2)a camera that does well in low light. I work with other sports photographers who use the D5100 and it does very well in low light up to ISO6400 (its a stretch, but usable for small size web)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back