Camera Indecision Dilemma

yellowhairtie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if someone would please help me out by giving me some advice. I would like to start taking pictures with a good camera. I am not sure what would be better as I don't know a great deal about them. Should I get a camera camera or a high end digital camera. I have a digital already but its no prize :p and I'd like to take pictures with a good camera and I'm sure with time and after reading about it I'll be able to use it properly, etc. It doesn't matter how much it costs but I just need to know what Brand/Kind is best and Digital/Non. If someone could get back to me that would be awesome! :) Thank you.

i know it´s a personal opinion, and besides i am not an expert at all on different types of camera, but i would go for a second hand manual focus SLR (maybe Nikon?), you can get a good equipment for not so much cash, and will learn (you will have to) a great deal about photography

It really depends on what you want. I too have a digital camera and recently bought an older 35mm camera. I'm partial to SLR Nikon manual film cameras (i.e. F2A, F2AS, F3HP, etc.). If you go this route, don't skimp on lenses. Instead of 3 or 4 cheaper questionable condition lenses I would rather have 1 higher priced high-quality lens. Lots of "stuff" on eBay regarding older equipment. My .02 pesos...

yellowhairtie said:
It doesn't matter how much it costs

Check this out
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04092902mamiya_zd.asp

You can't expect anyone to give you any useful advice unless you are more specific. What is your price range? What kind of photography are you involved in? Do you need the durability of a pro body & lenses?

Both Film & Digital cameras have their advantages and disadvantages. It's hard to say which is better.

Let us know more about what you want and we can give you better advice.

Big Mike said:
yellowhairtie said:
It doesn't matter how much it costs

Check this out
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04092902mamiya_zd.asp

You can't expect anyone to give you any useful advice unless you are more specific. What is your price range? What kind of photography are you involved in? Do you need the durability of a pro body & lenses?

Both Film & Digital cameras have their advantages and disadvantages. It's hard to say which is better.

Let us know more about what you want and we can give you better advice.

Yeah...what is good for one person might not nessacarily be good for another. I started out with a Canon AE-1 Program...works fantastic for me, and not too expensive...but that doesn't mean it will work for you. Be more specific as to what you will be using it for.

Yeah, that's true sorry. I really don't know anything about cameras but I guess I want something that I can bring out different colours in photos, ie. how you can bring out more yellows, greens, etc with filters and one that can focus in on certain things. I don't know how it is done but like the thing where take repetative pictures of the same thing as the night goes on and it turns out looking really cool. I don't know whether I can do that on a digital camera or not. I don't want something that is like 10 grand but maybe around 500 mark or so. But hopefully that is a little more specific. What is a reliable camera name too. I hope that is a little more specific. please get back to me. thanks :)

yellowhairtie said:
I guess I want something that I can bring out different colours in photos, ie. how you can bring out more yellows, greens, etc with filters and one that can focus in on certain things.

that can be done with both digital and film... digital is easiest in the "digital darkroom" that way you can play around with an image and not have to worry about burning up a lot of film, but with filters you can get many of the same effects on film.

As for double exposures... many digital cameras won't let you do it during the shooting stage... but you can get the same effect by taking multiple images and then merging the layers together in photoshop.

my recommendation, if you don't have a good computer and decent photo editing software (which can run up the tab) get yourself a decent used SLR... a few good lenses and a bunch of filters and spend time playing with it. if you do have a computer and enjoy the idea of being able to manipulate your images, then go for a DSLR like the Canon 300D.

get something that you can put into a fully manual mode to give you the freedom of playing and experimenting.

An SLR (single lens reflex) camera might be a good choice for you. The common ones have interchangeable lenses so they are very versatile. Of course you have to spend money on lenses as well but it's better to have a good lens than a fancy camera.

I would suggest something like a Canon EOS Rebel. They have auto modes but also allow for full manual control.

You could also stretch your money buy going with a used, manual focus system. Something like a Canon AE-1 and FD lenses. They are very easy to find in camera shops or on the internet.

If you want to go digital, 500 bucks could buy you a fairly good point & shoot camera but will not get you a Digital SLR. These p&s digital cameras can be useful but the quality is nowhere near what you can get with a digital SLR.

As for things like filters & multiple images...you can do that in the camera with film or you can do it on the computer with digital. That's just about the way it is for most things in photography. You can do it with film or digital...you just take a different road to get there.

thank you all for your help. I've been keeping my eye on eBay to try to be lucky enough to find some steals but still checking. I'm going to a second hand camera place in Toronto next week if all else fails. :) Waiting sucks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back