Camera lens Attachment (slight rattle)

GaryVanB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently bought a CanonT50 from my neighbor at his moving sale. It came with several lenses but one of them I don't seem to be able to attach to the camera. I'm assuming it isn't compatible with the camera but I wanted to ask some other people first before I set it aside.

The lens I'm trying to attach is Chinar F=28mm (should be a telephoto lens I believe.) The canon camera has a red dot to line up with the lens for attachment and the lens has an orange dot. Also the pins in the back are closer together than my other lenses (hence I think it isn't compatible).

Finally, The other weekend I went camping is some pretty rough terrain. I fell down a few times and now this lens as a rattling sound (I'm assuming I broke something inside?) The lens is intact however.

Could someone advise me on these situations?

Most camera companies have different lens mounts...so unless the back of that lens looks exactly like the back of a lens that does fit...it's probably meant for a different camera. If you took a photo of it and posted it up here, someone would be able to tell you want type of camera it will mount to.

First, go here: Chinon Industries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chinon made the Chinar series of lenses. What you have is a lens of moderate quality (something to be found at K-mart, et al.) I had several lenses for the Chinon type back in the 1980's and were so-so. The mount you describe more than likely was as described in the article, a "universal mount". The lenses are not considered to be the best quality, and difficult to come by in the general market. However a search on e-bay produced several. As for the "rattling sound" its possible that you knocked out of place a spacer or guide ring. If this is true, you can have it repaired, but finding parts will be very difficult. Best bet is to let that one go, and buy a newer Tamron, Sigma, or Canon equivalent. Sorry. :(

First, go here: Chinon Industries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chinon made the Chinar series of lenses. What you have is a lens of moderate quality (something to be found at K-mart, et al.) I had several lenses for the Chinon type back in the 1980's and were so-so. The mount you describe more than likely was as described in the article, a "universal mount". The lenses are not considered to be the best quality, and difficult to come by in the general market. However a search on e-bay produced several. As for the "rattling sound" its possible that you knocked out of place a spacer or guide ring. If this is true, you can have it repaired, but finding parts will be very difficult. Best bet is to let that one go, and buy a newer Tamron, Sigma, or Canon equivalent. Sorry. :(

That's what I was thinking as well with the lens mounting issue. As mentioned earlier, I bought the camera and lenses from my neighbor's moving sale. My understanding is he jumped from one hobby to another and probably ordered the lens online or in a store and didn't realize it wasn't compatible. All the lenses that properly attach are Canon and it's a Canon camera. The lens that doesn't fit properly is Chinon.

If the rattling sound does come from a spacer or guide ring, would that lens work at all providing it was fitted with the proper camera.

How much would a wide angle lens cost which would fit my camera? Where would I find it other than online? The camera is a CanonT50 which was made in the mid eighties.

If the rattling sound does come from a spacer or guide ring, would that lens work at all providing it was fitted with the proper camera.

It would work fine if repaired and the proper camera is in place. personally, I would let it go as I said. The cost of repair will exceed the cost of a new lens.

How much would a wide angle lens cost which would fit my camera? Where would I find it other than online? The camera is a CanonT50 which was made in the mid eighties.

Check local photo stores. The camera uses the Canon "FD" mount system. The lenses are widely available, and far better quality. The Canon lenses of that time are of very good quality, and reasonable for a film camera now. The FD mounts can be had virtually anywhere. Pawn shops, camera stores, on line, etc. Just have to go hunt for them, but it is a very target rich environment.

Read this: Canon FD lenses - Main Index Page

Most reactions

Back