Camera recommendation for startup studio

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheStar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, I plan on opening up a photography studio in the near future and would like to know if there are any camera recommendation for a startup. I've been eyeballing the canon t3i for a while - it's inexpensive and has great features. I feel that it can do the job.

What do you all think?

Why do you think the t3i can do the job? What 'features' are you talking about - its pretty run of the mill, IMO.

it doesn't even have a PC sync, which isn't a huge problem - but it is a drawback.

I am curious about something!

If you don't even know enough about cameras to know that the Canon T3i is an entry level camera, and not the best choice for professional portraiture... how are you going to be able to do professional quality portraiture? What about lighting? Posing?

We see a lot of threads like this... and I am really trying to understand HOW anyone thinks they can just pick up a camera, and go into business without knowledge, experience or skill? Please explain that to me!

Mully - I actually am looking into a P21 for someday, mostly because they are plentiful on eBay - are last generation Leaf systems any better?

If you don't even know enough about cameras to know that the Canon T3i is an entry level camera, and not the best choice for professional portraiture... how are you going to be able to do professional quality portraiture? What about lighting? Posing?

We see a lot of threads like this... and I am really trying to understand HOW anyone thinks they can just pick up a camera, and go into business without knowledge, experience or skill? Please explain that to me!

+38

Why do you think the t3i can do the job? What 'features' are you talking about - its pretty run of the mill, IMO.

it doesn't even have a PC sync, which isn't a huge problem - but it is a drawback.

Can it not do the job? Would you not use it in a studio is what I'm really getting at I guess. I don't want my customers coming in saying I don't have a good camera. Not really worried about PC sync (I have a macbook pro). I can just take out the memory card and transfer the pics that way. I figured the canon would look a lot more professional than the olympus I have

Magic.

My budget is around $3000. But I don't wanna spend all that on a camera. I'm just doing portrait for now.

Can it not do the job? Would you not use it in a studio is what I'm really getting at I guess. I don't want my customers coming in saying I don't have a good camera. Not really worried about PC sync (I have a macbook pro). I can just take out the memory card and transfer the pics that way. I figured the canon would look a lot more professional than the olympus I have

It AINT the camera... it is the photographer that produces good images! And it is the images that will keep your customers happy... not the Camera!

Uhhhh..."PC sync" is NOT a camera-to-computer interface... "PC sync" is a PC port on the camera, to which a flash sync cable is hooked up...it's for connecting the camera to any of several types of external flash units...not for transferring images from the camera to a "PC"...

And if you do have any customers, the Canon T3i will surely NOT impress them.

Try a Hassy, if you just want to impress your customers.....

Not really worried about PC sync (I have a macbook pro). I can just take out the memory card and transfer the pics that way.

That's just classic.

Listen, for your own sake, you REALLY have to educate yourself before taking this on. The t3i will be fine to learn on, and a proficient photographer could certainly use one professionally. No it's not a top of the line camera, but it is sufficient for a startup, provided that the photographer is knowledgeable enough to use it.

Jesus. You have a $3k budget at your looking at a t3i? It's not a huge budget, but it's more than what most of us have set aside at any given moment.

And that is why I signed up to this forum.

I know you may be a seasoned photographer but that is no reason to ridicule someone who is not. I'm a film student but I'm into photography. I've taken a photography class. But because I'm a film student that doesn't mean I'm ignorant to photography. Sorry my photography class didn't cover cameras and it's specific details and features.

I came here for advice on a camera which, obviously, you think the t3i is not a good fit. But I'll await opinions from others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back