Camera Recommendation

AlexColeman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying to make a decision between cameras, and wanted some advice. I am an advanced amateur, and would really like to get started with a DSLR, vs my SP570UZ. I have narrowed my choices down to EOS 50d, Nikon D90 or the D300. I have no legacy glass, so I am free to choose whatever brand. I can't say I will have a specific use, I am just interested in any brand as of now. Thanks for your help.

What feature, besides the high-resolution LCD, makes you choose the EOS 50D over the 40D?

Speed, or just throwing that out there, I am leaning toward the D90, if you have heard anything about it.

I have the D90 and I love every piece of it. The IQ is amazing, and i capable of using older, motor/screw, Nikon glass, which is very popular. Such as the 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D which is the older type AF. It's solidly built, and has 720p movie mode [limited somewhat].

The D90 is a prosumer, the d300 semi-pro/prosumer, so it does have better IQ, and more FPS , 4.5 vs the 6 or 8 [with grip]. Honestly, the D90 is awesome is is selling for about $900 nowadays.

Cool, I was wondering if any of you have any experience with the kit lens. Also if it is not good, what lenses would be good, preferably for under 700.

If you are looking for a do it all lens the the 18-200 VR would bet the lens for you if u get the D90 which is [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-18-200mm-3-5-5-6-ED-IF-Zoom-Nikkor/dp/B000BY52NU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1229223483&sr=8-1"]$625.[/ame]
Or you could save money with a 2 lens setup such as a 18-55 VR which is $150 and a 55-200 VR $175. Which leaves lost left over for things such as bags, battery grip, filters, etc.

Ok. If I go the 18-200, I hear it has bad distortion, also, what is the quality for 18-55 55-200? I really appreciate your replies.

I recommend the Canon 40D.

What Canon does that Nikon struggles with-
Prime lenses.
Wide apertures.
Low noise Prosumer cameras.

What Nikon does better-
Ergonomics.

Granted, Nikon and Canon offer great amounts of "equal" gear, I say go with Canon if you will be doing any available light shooting, as they have many lenses with wide open apertures you can get on the cheap.

I don't want to turn this into a pissing match, but the 18-200 is a junk lens with a horrible minimum aperture to boot. IS will NOT save your photos if your subject is moving.

Why 40D over 50D?
300 dollars less, and proven to have a cleaner high ISO sensor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back