Camera recommendation

canonguy12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am stuck deciding between getting a 7d or a 50d with the canon 100 2.8 macro.

My current set up is a Canon 70-200 2.8 IS USM, Tamron 17-50 2.8, and the 50 1.8 with a XSi. I have upgraded my lenses and am now looking to upgrade my camera. Sadly, the 5dmkii is a bit out of my price range.

I would rather own the 7D than the 50D.

I was in a similar situation a few months ago, minus the 70-200. I had/ve XSI, Tamron 28-75, 50 1.8, Canon 10-22 and 70-300

50D or 7D... its a hard choice. It really comes down to what you shoot and your budget. The 7D is newer, for sure. But the 50D is cheaper. They are both great cameras and will be nice upgrades to the XSI.

I had the luxury of shooting with a friend's 50D a few times (not much though). I went with the 7D. The two main reasons were the new AF system that came with the 7D and the weather sealing. I started shooting more sports and action orientated things, and I found the new AF system great for that.

That was what I was thinking before I purchased the camera. Since... I love the wireless (infrared) flash control. The AF system is great, I'm really happy with it. I actually like the 100% viewfinder as well

I think the consensus is that the 7D is a different camera line than the 50D.
Rebels - entry level
xxD (30D, 40D, 50D,...) - better build, more functions...prosumer
7D - faster frame rate, more metering, better AF, video, wireless flash
5D - full frame, slower fps, great high iso
1D - top of the line.

I'm very happy with my 7D purchase and do not regret it a bit

The 7D is a lot like a tuned-up 50D, and is better in pretty much every measurable way.

It has similar characteristics of a high speed camera but makes everything just a little bit more to put it in a higher line of cameras (like posted above). If you can afford it, there's no question: get the 7D.

Comparing the 50D and 7D directly, the 7D has about 1 stop higher usable ISO ("clean-ish" 3200 and "usable" 6400 compared to 1600/3200), faster burst rate (8fps vs 6.3 fps), color aware metering, significantly improved AF (with lots of customizing options), bright viewfinder with LCD overlays, one of the best DSLR video modes, wireless flash triggering, weather-resistant selaing, and a higher res sensor.

I think I sound a little preachy, but owning both (50D for a year, 7D for 2 months), I pretty much never touch the 50D unless I need a second body. Plus, unless you plan to specifically shoot macro, the 70-200 will fit almost all your needs at that focal length, so get the 7D.

i tried out a 7D and 50D and I like the 7D more.

Doesn't seem like much of a dilemma to me. The 7D is the obvious better choice, unless money is the issue, then I'd still suggest you just save a couple of months and the latest and greatest.

Guess the consensus is get the 7D, which is what I was leaning towards anyways. Thanks all :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back